WVBA AWARDS!

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

bmathews

Well all I can say is that we are ready to play!!!

Post by bmathews »

We've been doing quite well with the awards....We've won Country Station of the Year - Medium Market for 3 straight years... We bust our butts... We dominate our market in ratings, promotions, and sound!!! So anyone can put a signal on the air...It's what you do with that signal and how you make it sound that matters in the grand scheme of things....CONGRATS to everyone who won!!! It's awesome to get a little pat on the back from time to time...CYA next year!!!
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote:Dave: I'm sorry you feel that way. I would argue that YOU are trolling, based on your initial response to this thread. Chip? Possibly. Getting fired on Thanksgiving can do that to a guy. Still? Probably not. Someone says something negative about "the company", and you're up in arms immediately. Did you deserve your awards? Mostly likely. You have the best folks and the best equipment money can buy. Congrats on getting your money's worth. Don't expect everyone to pat you on the back further for it. Sorry, that's just how it is.
So you speak for everyone, huh? I'm not expecting any "pats on the head". But I'm not going to ignore you any longer when you unfairly attack us, either. Enough is enough.

Do you think we can take this thing out to 15 pages? :)
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

What's with all the whining? As many have pointed out, you have to enter to win, and yes, you have to be a member of the WVBA to enter. Those are the stipulations. If you choose not to participate in the process, then don't bitch about the process.

By my count, excluding Network and Television awards, WVRC won 12 out of the 37 Radio awards. Although this may seem like a lot, it is by no means winning all of the awards. Also, we don't know how many entries were submitted. Here at CC-Wheeling, we submitted 9 entries and won 5 Medium Market awards. This is pretty typical for us. We've won anywhere from 2 - 6 awards per year. Some years are better than others, but we participate in the process. Each owner is allowed to submit as many entries as they want based on their budget. There is no fix or conspiracy theory to be found just because WVRC is involved with the banquet. We enjoy the banquet every year and enjoy be represented and competing with other Medium Market stations.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

This all reminds me of Ned Chilton warning about the down sides of "being a big shot in a hick state."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Dave Harman wrote:So you speak for everyone, huh?
Well, considering this thread already has a few... I'd say you can rule out "everyone" as a supporter.
Dave Harman wrote:But I'm not going to ignore you any longer when you unfairly attack us, either. Enough is enough.
You've never ignored anyone for doing that. I'm surprised you don't already realize the futility of it. You're the "big dog" (sorry), or "big shot" as Dr. Whiplash has pointed out. If you're not used to it already, I'm surprised you haven't blown a gasket.

As an aside: I wonder if it's because I use my real name that I get every bit of negative content, in a thread of multiple participants, attributed to on me.
Dave Harman wrote:Do you think we can take this thing out to 15 pages? :)
Counting on it. Wheeling needs a break. :-)
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

I, for one, am appreciative of a thread that has me coming back every day this week. The board was very stale to me.
Lester, you have a good point about "poorer" stations not being able to keep it's good talent, and thus, would not submit entries to the "Excellence In Broadcast Awards". But again, to those that don't enter, don't bitch. Just start saving your stuff now for your entry next year and check back with www.wvba.com periodically so you know what and how to enter. Then, if WVRC stations and talent win any awards next year, we can start a bitchin' thread again.
Here's hoping that some of the smaller stations in the state are at least making some additional revenue these past two weeks airing their local high school basketball teams in Charleston.
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote:
Dave Harman wrote:As an aside: I wonder if it's because I use my real name that I get every bit of negative content, in a thread of multiple participants, attributed to on me.
Dave Harman wrote:Do you think we can take this thing out to 15 pages? :)
Counting on it. Wheeling needs a break. :-)
Yes, using your real name draws more attention. :) But I respect you for it.

Actually, I'm tired of the circular argument, so I quit. I'm pretty sure everyone knows which side both of us are on, and it's not like either one of us is covering new ground. Auf Wiedersehen till next time.
Kevin Connoley

Post by Kevin Connoley »

Well hell. This has been an eye-opener.

I had assumed WVAQ's morning show won because I am fucking HILARIOUS! But alas, it appears the fix was in.

Actually, I think it would be nice to know who else entered. Winning these things is truly a nice honor, and I meant it when I said I don't take it for granted. However, I don't know if we beat 8 other morning shows, or we were the only entry.

Of course, I choose to believe that every morning show in the state entered, and the judges were dazzled by my brilliance, and whatever it is that Eric brings to the table. Because that makes me feel better about me.

I've always assumed it's true that WV Radio is better able to pay to keep top talent than other companies in the state, but then again, I've never really shopped my services, so I guess I can't prove it. I know my wife and kids like Morgantown and the company pays me enough to prevent me from desperately sending out resumes (barely?). I guess I don't understand why having a radio company in the state that pays a competitive wage is looked upon as a negative thing.

Anyway, one point I would like to make about the awards banquet is this: Dale Miller, Chris Moran, Jon Thomas, John DeVincent and our engineering crew put in a lot of extra work to make the awards banquet feel like a big deal. Maybe it's NOT a big deal in reality, but I think it's a cool thing for Joes like us to be able to get our little Oscar, and say thanks (and I've seen more than one award-winner get emotional, so I guess it means something to them). Their efforts in producing that event have nothing to do with who wins, and they deserve thanks for those efforts. Without question, Dale likes putting on a show, and all those guys do a nice job with the event. I thank them for that.

And if Dale's involvement is the reason we win the award every year, then I thank him for that also. But I still choose to believe it's because I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
I should come here more often.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Dave Harman wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone knows which side both of us are on...
Probably not. I only got drug into this try to EXPLAIN why someone might feel the way they do about WVRC. Those within the org might (it would appear) have a hard time understanding why hate bombs are being lobbed in from the ether (it's not all based on jealousy). This only turned into my experiences when it was steered there.

As I pointed out earlier... people hate "the man"... and that's how your company is viewed by others... whether it should be or not.

Kevin: I truly pity you. The heights you could achieve if you weren't shackled by the albatross that is Eric. Maybe some day.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote: Kevin: I truly pity you. The heights you could achieve if you weren't shackled by the albatross that is Eric. Maybe some day.
Finally, some common ground...

ps. You know I understand what you're trying to tell me. You just say it because you like to say it.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Where is WVAQ? Morgantown or Wheeling?
Boss 97

Maybe we should change the name of the awards to...

Post by Boss 97 »

In an effort to continue this topic to 15 pages plus>

Maybe the awards should be re-named the
Charleston, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Morgantown, Huntington awards.
It appears that no other parts of WV is interested.

Looking at the WVBA awards list, I don't see any stations from
outside the above mentioned areas. Which brings to mind just
how many stations actually do compete for any awards.
If only 3 groups enter, then at best you can all win 1/3 of the
awards.

I won't mention any names, but I know a few radio owners and
some that own multiple stations that will not enter the competition.
Why? their answer is Why Bother?

I've thought about entering WDBS The BOSS 97 FM, but what the
heck can we enter for? The Legendary Station of the year has to
be doing the same format for 10 years...BOSS 97 has been country
for only 8. Now some of you will say, WDBS runs satellite most of
the time. Well is that any different than all the "Voice Tracking"
I hear on some of the stations that have already won? Actually
BOSS 97 sounds more in touch with our listeners with all the
local componets we add, including our weekly contests that give
away prizes to local winners that rival any "big city" station.

Do we have anything unique or live on WDBS? Yes we do, for 8 years
now we do a live & local Sat request country oldies show that has
listeners across WV from Preston Co down to Kanawaha and
everywhere inbetween. What catogory should we enter that show
under??? Are there any open catogories???

So my point is, if only 1 company in the large markets wants to
enter, then expect that company to win everything in the large
market catogory.

I'm an old timer in the radio biz, started in 1970 while in High School.
I worked in the Atlantic City-Philadelphia-Wilm, De areas. I never
felt I needed an award to prove how good I may be, just the fact
that I have made a great living in the business all these years, including
those spent in owning stations in WV kind of tells me I'm must be good
or I would have left the business decades ago.

Al Sergi
WDBS
WAFD
WKQV
WSGB
WVAR
+more on the way.
nuggie99

Re: Maybe we should change the name of the awards to...

Post by nuggie99 »

Boss 97 wrote:In an effort to continue this topic to 15 pages plus>

Maybe the awards should be re-named the
Charleston, Parkersburg, Wheeling, Morgantown, Huntington awards.
It appears that no other parts of WV is interested.
TV Station of the Year was WVVA, from the greater Bluefield Princeton metro area. Also, bmathews works for Kicks Country down in the same area, I think.
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

"Best Spot News or Event Coverage Medium Market: WVNT AM - Election Coverage"

I'll always be proud of winning this award for two years in a row. Our news department is two people-strong, so to win this again is a great honor.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
Boss 97

Post by Boss 97 »

I was not aware that we were comparing TV stations.
I was talking RADIO competition at the Awards.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

I have nothing to add but to say that WVBA membership, for the most part, is a complete waste of money for any station. I recall my boss asking me once why were were paying for a membership to the WVBA? He wasn't being a smart ass or anything, he just legitimately wanted to know what we were benefiting from it. I couldn't come up with an answer so we spent that money on donuts instead.

There is one thing that this tread has accomplished... I see a good deal of posters on this thread who have not posted in a while or are new to the board. Thank you.

Please, for the sake of the sanity of the regulars, come back more often and chime in anywhere you feel you can contribute (or even if you can't contribute (i.e. me)).

Seriously, I hope we are able to gain some new regulars.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Boss 97 wrote: I'm an old timer in the radio biz, started in 1970 while in High School.
I worked in the Atlantic City-Philadelphia-Wilm, De areas. I never
felt I needed an award to prove how good I may be, just the fact
that I have made a great living in the business all these years, including
those spent in owning stations in WV kind of tells me I'm must be good
or I would have left the business decades ago.

Al Sergi
WDBS
WAFD
WKQV
WSGB
WVAR
+more on the way.
Running that payload of stations - and all that entails - should be enough of a reward.

That being said, Al, don't you want to take some of the precious revenue and give it away on the gamble that someone else will tell you what a good job you've been doing?

Sally Field's speech at the 1990 Academy Awards comes to mind.

I mean, geez, here you are running stations and you could be re-allocating staff to produce recordings for awards. You've got a bloated staff-budget, don't you?

When the awards-production is finished, you could be writing checks for $75-a-pop instead of getting production on-the-air that will keep the lights on. I mean, money going out doesn't have to balance or exceed incoming revenue.

You've got to understand that the approval of your peers is the only measure of success in this business. This message-board should be the first place you turn to for valuable business-advice and a weath of information to make your stations better in ways you couldn't have possibily realized in your, "years of experience". (Oh and I better suggest that The Boss' format should be changed to Rap or some type of Hot AC before someone else here beats-me-to-the-punch).

What a mis-allocation of resources in small-market radio.

:wink:

Not to knock anyone's hard-work, but WVRC should be rewarded. Since I'm sure they pay the same as everyone else, they posted a minimum of $1950 in entry-fees and countless-dollars in sending their people to the banquet. WVBA needs something with which to operate. Hell just give them 58% of the awards just to keep the green. Basic Math
Enter every possible category + multiple entries per category from sister stations in the same market-group + multiple-entries from each category of market-size designation = some damn awards. Basic Math (talent not withstanding).

$$$
Last edited by Cameron on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Kevin Connoley

Post by Kevin Connoley »

Cameron wrote: When the awards-production is finished, you could be writing checks for $75-a-pop instead of getting production on-the-air that will keep the lights on. I mean, money going out doesn't have to balance or exceed incoming revenue.
How dramatic.
I should come here more often.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Kevin Connoley wrote:
Cameron wrote: When the awards-production is finished, you could be writing checks for $75-a-pop instead of getting production on-the-air that will keep the lights on. I mean, money going out doesn't have to balance or exceed incoming revenue.
How dramatic.
How condescending.

I guess your eliquent response is an indication that you feel there are no important financial-concerns or operation constraints for small-market broadcasters?

What page is this?

Someone else needs to provide some content.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Only nine pages of this to go... :lol:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.