Dave Blomquist quits at WKKX

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Where is Mr. Bob these days?
...and in Washington 2 peopls and in Newark a windmill and an armadillo!
lovetalkradio

Post by lovetalkradio »

Didn't Mr. Bob get thrown off womp for saying a bad word on air? *I could be wrong since it was in the 80's when it happened.
weaver

Post by weaver »

lovetalkradio wrote:Less than a week on air and Bloomquist is breaking big news about the Belmont County Sheriff Department. While WKKX is busy with birds.
Bloomer's big scoop turned out to be 100 percent false. Oops. Now we have two lousy talk stations in the NP.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Time to kill another Wheeling thread. :roll:
lovetalkradio

Post by lovetalkradio »

WKKX morning show has gone down hill. All they do now is laugh at each others jokes. There is no one in the morning who can conduct a good interview or ask hard questions.

As for the Belmont County Sheriff, I would stay tuned as there are a lot of questions he has yet to answer.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

fanofbigmedia wrote:Time to kill another Wheeling thread. :roll:
I don't see anything yet....am I missing something?
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Maddog

Post by Maddog »

Bloomer's big scoop turned out to be 100 percent false. Oops. Now we have two lousy talk stations in the NP.
I'm not quite sure where you get your info, but the last time I checked, since Bloomdaddy broke the story, there have been 5 resignations/terminations, and the Belmont County Jail Administrator has his choice of retiring, resigning, or being fired over prisoner abuse. It sounds to me like the big scoop was right on, otherwise, all of these changes in the Belmont County Sheriff's department wouldn't have taken place just since the story broke. Bloomdaddy is entertaining and edgy, but he is still a news person and knows how to follow a story when it is there, and he is right on with this one. WWVA is lucky to have him on their side now.
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

weaver wrote:
lovetalkradio wrote:Less than a week on air and Bloomquist is breaking big news about the Belmont County Sheriff Department. While WKKX is busy with birds.
As Maddog pointed out above, Bloomer has been proven correct on the issues of the Sheriff Dept.

Bloomer point was that the entire department, that includes the Sheriff, is under investigation. Not just the people under the sheriff. The sheriff runs the jail, it's his staff, it's where his office is at.

Any wrong doing that happen are his responsibilities. Fred Thomas has been ducking the issues and trying to make it look like he didn't have a clue.

Bloomer knows more people and has more connection than the entire staff at KKX.

From a listen stand point, it's funny that Bloomer now is showing up on arbitron for advertisers... I wonder why he wasn't before?
bloomdaddyfan

Post by bloomdaddyfan »

As Maddog pointed out above, Bloomer has been proven correct on the issues of the Sheriff Dept.
Exactly. He said that the sheriff is going to be indicted, too. When that comes out, he'll have another scoop. I heard the woman talking about getting her Arbitron book too. I was cracking up when she said she flips back and forth between kkx and Bloomer, but she is only going to mark down that she listens to Bloomer. He's got to love that.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

bloomdaddyfan wrote:I heard the woman talking about getting her Arbitron book too. I was cracking up when she said she flips back and forth between kkx and Bloomer, but she is only going to mark down that she listens to Bloomer. He's got to love that.
This was on the air? Not dumped?

lovetalkradio

Post by lovetalkradio »

Since Bloomquist broke the news about the Sheriff, WKKX was all over Bloomquist. All but saying it's not true and it's hack reporting. Now that the Sheriff's right hand man is being investigated, and with more investigations to come, WKKX is backing off from the snide remarks and cheap shots.

WKKX had six or so months to really get a firm grip on talk radio here and just sat around and got fat and happy being the best talk radio show even though they were the only one with enough power to really be heard by more than 1000 people. This is like WTRF saying they are #1 at 10:00pm since they are the only ones on in our area at 10:00pm.

WKKX lost many listeners and many are thankful that WWVA is owned by or will be owned someone other than CC. As I said before, Kellas will own the drive home and Bloomer will likely own morning sooner than later. It will be interesting if WWVA brings in someone to compete with Kellas. If that happens, it's a good thing that WKKX affiliated itself with Wheeling Central as least someone will be listening to the numorus lawyer commercials being played every hour.
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Arp2 wrote:
bloomdaddyfan wrote:I heard the woman talking about getting her Arbitron book too. I was cracking up when she said she flips back and forth between kkx and Bloomer, but she is only going to mark down that she listens to Bloomer. He's got to love that.
This was on the air? Not dumped?
that was my first thought... this could potentially bite someone in the ass.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Not if they're embargoed... again. :lol:
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Lester wrote:Not if they're embargoed... again. :lol:
but if he put her on the air talking about how she's going to be filling out her arbitron diary, isn't that a blatant violation of the arbitron policies. i'm not up to the letter on all of the "rules". i just avoid the whole subject entirely and point them back to the instructions provided with the diary when a listener brings it up.

embargoed just means they're not releasing the results to the general public due to one or more of the companies in the market not buying the service for that period.
dictionary.com wrote:embargo

verb
1. ban the publication of (documents), as for security or copyright reasons; "embargoed publications"
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

You are assuming that station bought the book?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

Tom Taggart wrote:You are assuming that station bought the book?
which brings up a good question. if you don't buy the book, do you still have to follow the rules?
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Rules? There's no rules in a knife fight.

Naw, you no buy, you no comply. You can get dumped below the line or de-listed, but if you don't buy... and nobody cares about below the line.

And if you do buy, someone would have to have it on tape and complain to Arbitron. I got Super 102 flagged once for saying, "It's the first day of ratings, please be gentle". Seems somebody at V-100 (I think it was them, it's been a few years) was taping us every day and turned us in. Ow.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

For years, Fox 11 used to do an announcement saying "If you are keeping a ratings service diary, please note you are watching WVAH-TV". :D
The Snake

Post by The Snake »

My understanding was that only the public (general) gotembargoed.

Advertisers still can get the book and get the data numbers.

Correct?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

The Snake wrote:My understanding was that only the public (general) gotembargoed.
By definition.
Advertisers still can get the book and get the data numbers.

Correct?
Anyone who wants to buy ("license" is a more accurate term) what Arbitron sells can get whatever they pay for.