Anybody know where Cable County is ???

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

jag

Post by jag »

I find it interesting that this thread started as an observation of a mispronunciation. While regrettable, such things do happen.

And they happen everywhere from Barbour County (you know...where Phi-lip-eye is) to KAHN-ah-wah County (where, of course, our capital, Charlestown, is located). Even the professionals in the PO-to-mack Valley sometimes misspeak, but certainly no more than the good people of the Guy-an-DOTE region. Why, I've heard some egregious mispronunciations as far north as Han-cook County! And, while you'd think that a college area would do better, all over Mononga-HAY-lee-ah County things get mangled. It's spreading! Everywhere from New Martinsburg on the Ohio River to Martinsville in the eastern panhandle, people are getting West Virginia names incorrect! A friend of mine from Cameroon in Marshall county says that even an exchange student he knew from Cameron in Africa noticed it!

And, NOW the people of CABLE County...oh, where does it end?!?
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

jag wrote:I find it interesting that this thread started as an observation of a mispronunciation. While regrettable, such things do happen.

And they happen everywhere from Barbour County (you know...where Phi-lip-eye is) to KAHN-ah-wah County (where, of course, our capital, Charlestown, is located). Even the professionals in the PO-to-mack Valley sometimes misspeak, but certainly no more than the good people of the Guy-an-DOTE region. Why, I've heard some egregious mispronunciations as far north as Han-cook County! And, while you'd think that a college area would do better, all over Mononga-HAY-lee-ah County things get mangled. It's spreading! Everywhere from New Martinsburg on the Ohio River to Martinsville in the eastern panhandle, people are getting West Virginia names incorrect! A friend of mine from Cameroon in Marshall county says that even an exchange student he knew from Cameron in Africa noticed it!

And, NOW the people of CABLE County...oh, where does it end?!?

end? right here in Nor-FOLK.
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
jag

Post by jag »

:lol:
OldSkool

Re: Anybody know where Cable County is ???

Post by OldSkool »

I have stayed quiet long enough. Am I to believe that the author of this thread has never made a mistake? Does he not have a life outside of radio? Does he live to point out mistakes of his peers? If you want to right a wrong in local media, hunt down the person responsible for letting the local commercials blare much louder than the network ones during Planet Earth 'cause it really pisses me off.
EZ103.3FM wrote:It's definitely being prononced Cable, not Cabell....
It's definitely spelled pronounced, not prononced.
"When a dog runs at you, whistle for him." ~Henry David Thoreau
fearpeddler

Re: Anybody know where Cable County is ???

Post by fearpeddler »

OldSkool wrote:I have stayed quiet long enough. Am I to believe that the author of this thread has never made a mistake? Does he not have a life outside of radio? Does he live to point out mistakes of his peers? If you want to right a wrong in local media, hunt down the person responsible for letting the local commercials blare much louder than the network ones during Planet Earth 'cause it really pisses me off.
EZ103.3FM wrote:It's definitely being prononced Cable, not Cabell....
It's definitely spelled pronounced, not prononced.
you mean planet earth on discovery??? last i checked discovery's hq was on the west coast....... hehe better gripe to suddenlink over that one.... i'm not even about to start throwing the insults... obviously you have no sense of humor....
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

OMG! So I can't poke fun? I have a great sense of humor, BTW. And I am not perfect by a long shot. Perhaps my point wasn't clear. Life is too short to lose sleep over such trivial things as mispronunciations. That's all.
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

OldSkool wrote:Life is too short to lose sleep over such trivial things as mispronunciations.
Or misspeeling's or grammatical error's Arp these are words to live by

"I am now quoting something". Note; the period is out side the double-superscript comer's. :lol:
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Would someone in their best Paul Harvey voice please say,

"Page five."
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Well, now that the thread seems to be taking a more serious turn...
fanofbigmedia wrote:
OldSkool wrote:Life is too short to lose sleep over such trivial things as mispronunciations.
Or misspeeling's or grammatical error's Arp these are words to live by
....But they're not trivial. Just as communication becomes even more of what we all do, more and more people are becoming virtually incapable of it. It puts even more distance between people.
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

What I really wanted to say is...oh, wait...nevermind...I only cared for a second. LMAO! We are all human and we all make mistakes. At least I think most of the posters on this board are human. I could be mistaken.
Oldiesdude

Post by Oldiesdude »

Hey!

I live in New Martinsburg...... I mean New Martinsville.
I'm just happy to know the Dougger!
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

That plan didnt go so well. I will be honest, I was an ass back then. I really had to idea how the biz worked. I appreciate you bringing up 2 years ago. Its really sad that someone lives in the past. I wonder if you still wear parachute pants and listen to Bon Jovi??? When you get a chance Arp I would love to put my finger in your nail prints and see the scars from your crown of thorns. Lets play nice
kriss kross will make ya jump, jump
Zak Tyler
Lord of Boobies

Post by Zak Tyler »

AARON SCOTT wrote:I wonder if you still wear parachute pants and listen to Bon Jovi???
Bon Jovi tested pretty well a couple months ago with 25-35 year old men around here.

somebody pass me a beer
I'm not an idiot, but I play one on the radio.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

LOL
It probably did!!! LOL
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

AARON SCOTT wrote:That plan didnt go so well. I will be honest, I was an ass back then. I really had to idea how the biz worked.
See, now that's interesting. That would be a good discussion that we all may learn from. Will you describe what misperceptions you had and how they have changed? What have you learned since then? What do you know now that you didn't back then?

Don't worry about being embarassed or some shit like that. This discssion could be a valuable tool for a number of us (especially those of us who are looking to reach younger staffers more effectively). There's no reason to be hesitant. Be fearless. There are thousands of people working in radio that have no idea how it works. Most of them are GMs and consultants.
AARON SCOTT

Post by AARON SCOTT »

I just didnt realize the time it took for ratings to go up. I didnt know anything about coverage area or watts. I didnt realize how much being consistent means to the success of your station and show. I know now its better to shut up and listen
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Jay Nunley wrote:There are thousands of people working in radio that have no idea how it works. Most of them are GMs and consultants.
Diet Mountain Dew burns a little when it is shot from the nose. Dude, that shit is funny. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zak, best. avatar. ever.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

AARON SCOTT wrote:I appreciate you bringing up 2 years ago.
I had some help...I didn't remember you. Glad to see you've picked up a little humility. What was the "Ohhhh....." moment?
I wonder if you still wear parachute pants and listen to Bon Jovi???
Bon Jovi? Sure! I like the older stuff a lot better, though.

Parachute pants? I've never been one for fads. Now that I think about it, I can't think of a single fad I jumped in on.
Last edited by Arp2 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Arp2 wrote:Now that I think about it, I can't think of a single fad I jumped in on.
<cough>

American Idol.

</cough>

:lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

That's no fad....that's a long-term, true mass-appeal, brings-the-whole-family-together phenomenon that incorporates several real trends.

You're missin' out.

8)