Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Clay JD Walker

Re: Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG

Post by Clay JD Walker »

The wife and I were in Flatwoods Friday and Saturday for business -- it was interesting to hear the WV Radio contributions playing in the outlet stores -- and maybe it was because IMG's pregame coverage hadn't began yet, but a part of me was wondering if these folks were expecting the game to be on those stations rather than others -- not certain. Driving through the state on game day, however, and catching the game on a variety of stations, WDBS's execution was flawless, but others weren't so lucky. I'll agree with Scott -- the game sounded the same as the 200 others that were on the radio over the weekend -- nothing special, nothing exciting, and clipped to all ends, unlike what Dale and the gang used to put together.

If WVU is the closest thing to a pro team in the state, its coverage should reflect it, right?

Oh, and it was crappy though to find gaps in game coverage on this ride that used not to exist -- maybe we didn't know where to turn, or there was some signal issues along the ride. Maybe it's because I'm a Marshall fan...
klever1

Post by klever1 »

Curious, where were you when you ran into the gaps?
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Clarksburg is still a pretty big gap ... 94 Rock to the North ... The Boss to the south?
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

JKF18 wrote:Clarksburg is still a pretty big gap ... 94 Rock to the North ... The Boss to the south?
WPDX has the Mountaineers.
unchoopfan

WVU alleges WVRC breach of contract in Summersville

Post by unchoopfan »

In its written answer and counterclaim to WV Radio Corporation's amended lawsuit against WVU, WVU attorney Jeffrey Wakefield of Charleston law firm Flaherty, Sensabaugh, Bonasso accuses WV Radio Corp. of breach of contract by not continuing to broadcast Mountaineer football games on WVRC-owned WSWW (95.7 FM), Summersville.

In the Sept. 10 response, WVU alleges:
- WV Radio Corp. breached its Radio Affiliate Agreement with WVU when it failed to broadcast the William & Mary and Oklahoma MSN from IMG game broadcasts, instead carrying the WV Radio Corp-produced "Gameline" broadcast on WSWW-FM in Summersville;
- WV Radio Corp's material breaches of the Radio Affiliate Agreement have continued, and WVU reasonably anticipates will continue; and, to date, WV Radio Corp. has made no attempt to cure its breach of the agreement; and,
- Due to WV Radio's material breaches of the agreement, the WVU Board of Governors suffered a loss of commercial and advertising opportunities for which it had bargained, as well as annoyance, inconvenience, and loss of reputation and exposure due to the lack of a radio broadcast in Nicholas County, WV.

WVU's claims are based upon the July 8, 2011 MSN Radio Affiliate Agreement signed between WV Radio Corp. President Dale Miller and WVU Deputy Director of Athletics Mike Parsons, which was a three-year deal for football and men's basketball broadcasts on WSWW-FM, Summersville for the 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons.
Tom Taggart

Post by Tom Taggart »

WSWW-FM is not owned by West Virginia Radio Corporation.

WSWW-FM is owned by West Virginia Radio Corporation of Charleston.

Both corporations are owned 50/50 by John and David Raese, but legally they re separate entities.
Therefore the WVU counterclaim is filed against the wrong entity and (for the moment) a non party. Procedurally it fails to state a cause for which relief may be granted.
Boss 97

Post by Boss 97 »

It should be noted that WSWW 95.7 is licensed to Craigsville, not Summersville, they have a booster station in Summersville on the same channel. However, WDBS 97.1 which has been the top rated station for all of Nicholas Co for over a decade also has an FM translator W255BM 98.9 FM in Summersville since 2003, therefore covering everyone on two channels in Nicholas CO. Additionally WVBD 100.7 Fayetteville has carried the Mountaineers since 2009 and also gets into Summersville with a strong signal. The only reason that so many stations were airing the games was because the rule was one per county of license, not because of any lack of signal coverage. When the WCWV 92.9 FM contract was up a few years ago, Summit Media submitted a bid to pay for coverage on WVAR 600 AM Richwood and 98.1 FM Birch River (both in Nicholas CO) WV Radio or MSN (whoever was in charge) rejected our offer to pay to keep Nicholas CO on a Summit Media station and gave it free to WSWW 95.7 and that's the rest of the story.
TimeEnuf

Post by TimeEnuf »

WSWW 95.7's contract to carry WVU was with MSN, not IMG...... does MSN still exist ?
Can you have an enforceable contract between two entities, when one no longer exists?
Rock

Post by Rock »

During the broadcasts, they're referred to as 'MSN on IMG'.
America is at that awkward stage.
It is too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards.
- Claire Wolfe
Dr. Loomis

Post by Dr. Loomis »

I listened to the IMG pre-game before the Georgia State game in the car driving from Wardensville to Davis via Corridor H, and while there were no real gaps in coverage, I ended up having to change the station about FOUR times in that stretch.

And another mistake on the official affiliate list that has been there since the beginning: WQWV is on 103.7, but it says 102.7 on the list.

I've listened to bits and pieces of WVU play-by-play on Sirius since then, and the broadcasts have been of good quality. It's not going to get any better until they figure out how to reincarnate Jack Fleming.
BadAndy79

Post by BadAndy79 »

Bump.

Just came across an interesting development from Gazette-Mail's Phil Kabler.

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-colum ... nnecessary

It's near the bottom. Looks like FCC is gonna pull the sale out from Rease in regards to WCLG after a year's worth of extensions.

If that is indeed the case we may see WCLG be Mountaineer Sports Network's new flagship station this coming fall
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

If the FCC is going to pull the CLG deal ... then it's from AJG.... (yeah AJG is not WVRC, and I've got some oceanfront property in Doddridge County to sell ya too). Not to mention the recent "swap" if you will, of AJG to WVRC of WKKW, WBUC-AM, among others "within the family". Or, trusts. This is a shellgame at its finest in order to gain pretty much entire control of the airwaves in the state.

BTW: WCLG has been advertising as part of the AJG group for awhile now. And, WFGM is reportedly in the CLG building now, and has switched formats to '90s based country.

AJG Radio Corporation (WCLG-FM and WCLG-AM in Morgantown; WFGM in Fairmont; and WFBY in Clarksburg) is seeking driven, goal-oriented sales professionals to join our team of client-focused Account Executives
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

So, if WFGM gave up on classic hits, then is anyone running the format over there? Sorry for veering off-course on this.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Don't sweat it... we need some good old fashioned radio strategy conversation here... :D
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

Magic 106.5 switched to classic hits months ago as Sky 106.5, also on WVAQ HD.

WCLG 1300 AM is still running oldies from Cumulus. (Perhaps on a new FM frequency?)
engineer

Post by engineer »

100.9 also changed to Jack FM
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Lester wrote:Don't sweat it... we need some good old fashioned radio strategy conversation here... :D
It's sad. Every time I type this site's address into my browser, I fully expect it to land on a domain sales pitch.

I blame Facebook and Jay Nunley (just because).

Perhaps we should invite Mark Halburn back to stir the shit pot a little. Or more threads about hot dogs or Wheeling radio. Good times.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Mark put his name in as a candidate for the open seat on the Kanawha County Commission.

He lost.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Big Media wrote:It's sad. Every time I type this site's address into my browser, I fully expect it to land on a domain sales pitch.
Sadly the "bots" have made it near impossible to add new members. (We get inundated with fake accounts that have to be deleted.) In short, as participation falls off, there's no one to replace them. And yes, Facebook... but here you're still anon if you choose to be.
Greg Goodfellow

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

Lester wrote:
Big Media wrote:It's sad. Every time I type this site's address into my browser, I fully expect it to land on a domain sales pitch.
Sadly the "bots" have made it near impossible to add new members. (We get inundated with fake accounts that have to be deleted.) In short, as participation falls off, there's no one to replace them. And yes, Facebook... but here you're still anon if you choose to be.
I'm wondering why more radio folks don't use this site, unless they're so busy keeping radio relevant for their listeners that they just don't have the luxury of time. 'WVBROADCASTING.NET' is an absolute treasure, and it's been a real blessing to me. THANK YOU to everyone that keeps this site running. Folks always catch when something goes wrong. When you do something right, you should be told. THANK YOU.

Again, apologies for veering off original topic.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen