Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

unchoopfan

IMG close to locking down LM's Rock 105 in Charleston

Post by unchoopfan »

According to the Charleston Gazette's Mitch Vingle, Rock 105 is teasing "major sports news." Could an IMG announcement of a deal with LM for the Charleston/Huntington market be in the works? If so, that's a great move for both IMG and Rock 105.
EZ103.3FM

Re: 13 additional stations sign on to MSN/IMG; 35 affiliates

Post by EZ103.3FM »

unchoopfan wrote:...
Changes for 2013: Based on the MSN affiliate list from the 2012 WVU Football media guide, here are the markets where IMG has added/changed MSN affiliates for the upcoming season:
Cumberland, Md.: (Old affiliate, WDYK-FM; New affiliates, WCBC-AM/FM)
Martinsburg: (New affiliate, WLTF-FM)
St. Mary's: (New affiliate, WJAW-FM)
Petersburg: (Old affiliate, WELD-FM; New affiliate, WQWV-FM)
Wheeling: (New affiliate, WBBD-AM)
Morgantown: (Old affiliates, WVAQ-FM/WAJR-AM; New affiliate: WZST-FM)
Dunmore: (New affiliate, WVMR-FM)
Sutton: (New affiliate, WKQV-FM)
One small point - the current list at wvusports.com shows both WELD-FM (Fisher) and WQWV-FM (Petersburg) as current MSN affiliates. Being a Marshall fan in Huntington I wouldn't normally care, but WELD used to be owned by my cousin Willard Earle.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
ccolarado

Re: Mountaineer Sports Network from IMG

Post by ccolarado »

Just Announced!!!
100.9 WMXE and other LM Communications Radio group stations will be the outlet for WVU sports in the Charleston market.
ccolarado

Post by ccolarado »

100.9 will carry Football, all respective pre game, post game, and coaches shows. As well as Men's Basketball. WJYP-AM will carry women's basketball, and WVU baseball.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

ccolarado wrote:Just Announced!!!
100.9 WMXE and other LM Communications Radio group stations will be the outlet for WVU sports in the Charleston market.
So if WVHU is retaining the Huntington affiliation, does this mean the 102.3 simulcast will have to split during sports broadcasts?
unchoopfan

IMG on Mix 100.9

Post by unchoopfan »

With IMG's deal on Mix 100.9, WVU coverage still gets a decent hit in Huntington/Charleston and along I-64. If IMG and LM could have worked a deal to put MSN on Rock 105, it would have been a home run. Mix 100.9's weak signal outside of the I-64 corridor presents some additional challenges for IMG with coverage.
ccolarado

Post by ccolarado »

Yes, music will continue on 102.3.
unchoopfan

Air Talent/Affiliate update

Post by unchoopfan »

IMG finalizes WVU football air talent: IMG College today announced its WVU football broadcast team for 2013, with surprisingly no significant change in the game broadcast air talent. Rejoining Tony Caridi in the booth will be color analyst Dwight Wallace. MSN analyst Jed Drenning will provide sideline reports and continue as a contributor to WVUSports.com. Wallace's return was a bit of a surprise, as former Mountaineer/Steeler Mike Logan was rumored to be possibly replacing Wallace in the booth for 2013. New women's baskeball/baseball play-by-play voice Jeff Culhane, who comes to Morgantown following a six-year stint with the Nebraska Husker Sports Network, will be the host for MSN on IMG's pre-/post-game football coverage, and will be joined by contributors Amanda Mazey (wife of WVU baseball coach Randy Mazey) and former Mountainer and WVU Varsity Club coordinator Dale Wolfley.

MSN affiliate update: With last week's announcements of renewals of MSN deals with affiliates in Weirton (WEIR) and Parkersburg (WHBR/WADC), IMG has signed 40 stations on to carry Mountaineer football broadcasts. Of the 48 stations that were affiliated with MSN in 2012, 32 stations have renewed ties with IMG while 16 stations (including 13 WVRC-owned stations) are no longer part of the network.

Kegler's New Home for WVU Coaches Shows: IMG also announced last week that popular Morgantown sports bar Kegler's has been selected as the site from which MSN's weekly radio coaches shows will originate. The Dana Holgorsen Show will air 7-9 p.m. on Thursday nights during the football season, with the first broadcast set for Thursday, August 29.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

This is all going to go downhill VERY quickly...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

I see where WCHS and the other WVRC stations that aren't part of the IMG network are doing what WLW did when they didn't have the Bengals games. WLW said they had 'The Best Bengals Coverage' despite the fact that the games were elsewhere. When they got the games back the said they had 'The Best Bengals Coverage.....and the games'.

The former MSN stations will have this:
I'm sure they'll have a lot of listeners to the pregame and postgame shows that fans are used to.

The 'Gameline' show intrigues me. With so many games on TV, I would think that they'll have a lot of listeners who will be calling & tweeting to be able to vent immediately while watching the games from home.

Has anyone seen something like this work in other college or NFL markets?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much." - Yogi Berra
JKF18

Post by JKF18 »

It kind of surprises me, in a way, that the WVRC stations don't market themselves as non-football related during gameday. Sure, tailgate festivities, promotions, etc. But let's not forget there are plenty that still want music on the radio, and not sports. It's going to make it hard to listen to music on the radio now in certain markets. Only the most diehard could listen to this much coverage.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

IMG is the number one broadcaster of college football on radio in America. They will be top notch.
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

On the HerdNation.com board, there is some discussion of this on the 'Thunder in the Mountains' smack board - the only board where wvu fans may post about sports.

One fan was asked by a Marshall fan why he was so hostile to John Raese after he was good to wvu for so many years.

A wvu fan named 30cat replied:
'Raese was out-bid. That's business. Now he's kicking and screaming and it's affecting WVU. Try to hurt WVU and WVU fans will turn on you in a heartbeat. Ask Rich Rodriguez.
He was making millions off of WVU. Now it's time for WVU to make millions off of WVU.
He should have taken his defeat like a man and worked with IMG. When he loses his lawsuit, I'm sure he'll eventually come around.
When he does, all will be forgiven.'

That thread is here: http://marshall.rivals.com/showmsg.asp? ... 82&style=2
I would think those who can't go to the games AND can't watch them will tune in to the IMG broadcasts. If Tony Caridi had been replaced that might have really hurt IMG. I just wonder if those watching the game on TV will listen to and participate in the WVRC shows.

Also, I mentioned above that WVHU in Huntington didn't carry the coaches radio shows. I heard this morning that they will be carrying Holgerson's show beginning tonight. I assume they had to in order to keep the games, although where would IMG have gone if WVHU didn't carry the games?
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

In the DC market, WJFK (106.7 the fan) does this. I just heard "with the most Redskins coverage in Washington" as the tag on a legal ID.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
EZ103.3FM

Post by EZ103.3FM »

I wondered above where IMG would have gone with the wvu games if WVHU & Clear Channel didn't take them.

I should have thought of the fact that since 100.9 has the wvu games in Charleston, they would have just used 102.3 to cover Huntington. Duh.... That leverage may have enabled IMG to get WVHU to carry coaches shows and maybe even more pre and post game coverage than they have before. We'll find out tomorrow....
Ace Purple

Post by Ace Purple »

ccolarado wrote:Yes, music will continue on 102.3.
As I navigated the maze that is downtown Huntington this morning with the color run going on, trying to make my home from work, I heard both music *and* the Mountaineer Network pregame show airing at the same time on 102.3 FM here in Huntington. Just checked it again and it's still doing double duty. Oops.
On Twitter: @LouPickney
amayo

Post by amayo »

Being far from WV I am curious as to the quality of the IMG broadcast. Reviews anyone?
klever1

Post by klever1 »

Dramatic improvement from what we had been used to.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

amayo wrote:Being far from WV I am curious as to the quality of the IMG broadcast. Reviews anyone?
Sounded like 200 other football broadcasts across America. Which is why I only listened for five minutes. It could have been Marshall. It could have been Pitt. It could have sounded fresh...like it used to.
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

I heard an awful lot of technical errors in the broadcast. But it was hard to pinpoint the blame for all of them, as the Charleston affiliate I was listening to may have generated a lot of them. During Thursday night's coaches show, the local presentation was a hideous mess, and the station cut from the talkshow after the first hour - immediately after Tony previewed the events which were coming up next hour. They never returned to it, so either it was a horrible automation error, or an intentional choice to only carry half the show. As for the game, it was just a generic presentation of college football, with none of the sparkle or local feel that fans have enjoyed before.