VoIP - Vonage and the Like

Computer, engineering, and other technical assistance.

Moderators: genlock, sportsvoice

Big Media

VoIP - Vonage and the Like

Post by Big Media »

I am considering switching to a Vonage like product offered by CityNet. Has anyone had any successes or failures they would like to share? I am still a little uneasy about dropping my land line (even though I realize I should have years ago).
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I have Packet 8. (4 months)
Worked right out of the box and my KY address has a WV telephone number. Altell in KY is a little pricey for DSL+POTS+Long Distance. (Ashland CO only allows for ATT). So $130 a month wasn't out of the question. Now it's $40 (Adelphia internet) + $19.95 with unlimited long-distance with packet 8. The VOIP service allows for a lot of features like forwarding numbers, voicemail - and Packet 8 is one of the few that has its e-911 stuff together.
Put an UPS on the modem, router, and device - you're set.
(Check the provider if you need to do a lot of faxing, DishTV needs to check-in, ect.)
Since all of the house telco wiring is in series, all I had to to was disconnect from Altell's network interface and plug the Packet 8 device into an open RJ-11 - presto - dialtone.
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

The cool thing about it is that you can pick the box up and take it where ever you go with a broadband connection. I'm wondering how it would be connected to a phone hybrid for a remote broadcast (where one would want to take calls)?

And could one connect the interface to a wireless hot spot?

This is a neat advantage, and I've also heard a bunch of buzz about the CityNet offering. I'm going to give it a spin.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Clay JD Walker wrote:The cool thing about it is that you can pick the box up and take it where ever you go with a broadband connection. I'm wondering how it would be connected to a phone hybrid for a remote broadcast (where one would want to take calls)?

This is a neat advantage, and I've also heard a bunch of buzz about the CityNet offering. I'm going to give it a spin.
Most large hotel chains caught-on to the potential lost revenue with VOIP.
They'd really like that $.50 local call and $1.24 a minute long distance to happen from their rooms.
Many hotels are blocking the ports VOIP units use. I know packet 8 can be reconfigured to use different ports, though.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

Cameron wrote:
Clay JD Walker wrote:The cool thing about it is that you can pick the box up and take it where ever you go with a broadband connection. I'm wondering how it would be connected to a phone hybrid for a remote broadcast (where one would want to take calls)?

Most large hotel chains caught-on to the potential lost revenue with VOIP.
They'd really like that $.50 local call and $1.24 a minute long distance to happen from their rooms.
Many hotels are blocking the ports VOIP units use. I know packet 8 can be reconfigured to use different ports, though.
Wonder if they are trying to jam cell phones too....
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Cameron wrote:I have Packet 8.
Check the provider if you need to do a lot of faxing, DishTV needs to check-in, ect.
Crap. I never though of that. I have DirecTV and Tivo devices scattered all over the house. According to Packet 8's terms, these devices are not compatible.

Cameron, have you had any problems getting these devices to call out?
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

fanofbigmedia wrote:
Cameron wrote:I have Packet 8.
Check the provider if you need to do a lot of faxing, DishTV needs to check-in, ect.
Crap. I never though of that. I have DirecTV and Tivo devices scattered all over the house. According to Packet 8's terms, these devices are not compatible.

Cameron, have you had any problems getting these devices to call out?
Second-generation Tivo/DirecTVs will allow for contact with the mothership via IP with a USB dongle. DishTV is dialing the mothership more often (I guess it's more often - all the calls are logged). There may be some flakiness with the modem handshake. If push comes to shove, I don't mind paying an extra $4.00 a month so Charlie Ergen doesn't know I am watching "Stan Lee's - Who Wants To Be A Superhero". I wouldn't want that information sold to Haines to put me on the mailing list for the tights-of-the-month-club.
philo

Post by philo »

Cameron wrote:I have Packet 8. (4 months)
Worked right out of the box and my KY address has a WV telephone number. Altell in KY is a little pricey for DSL+POTS+Long Distance. (Ashland CO only allows for ATT). So $130 a month wasn't out of the question. Now it's $40 (Adelphia internet) + $19.95 with unlimited long-distance with packet 8. The VOIP service allows for a lot of features like forwarding numbers, voicemail - and Packet 8 is one of the few that has its e-911 stuff together.
Put an UPS on the modem, router, and device - you're set.
(Check the provider if you need to do a lot of faxing, DishTV needs to check-in, ect.)
Since all of the house telco wiring is in series, all I had to to was disconnect from Altell's network interface and plug the Packet 8 device into an open RJ-11 - presto - dialtone.
If your Dial up modem or fax machine isn't working right with your VOIP service You can use a DSL filter to clean things up.
Mike

Post by Mike »

VOIP over DSL or cable is less reliable than POTS.

But for the home it's probably good enough given the cost savings.

I once had the horror of implimenting VOIP over DSL VPN. I told the Iranian cheap bastard I worked for it wouldn't work, and sure enough, it never worked. Not my headache anymore :)
"Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached"
-Manuel II Palaiologos
Byzantine Emperor (1391-1425)
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Cameron wrote:I don't mind paying an extra $4.00 a month so Charlie Ergen doesn't know I am watching "Stan Lee's - Who Wants To Be A Superhero". I wouldn't want that information sold to Haines to put me on the mailing list for the tights-of-the-month-club.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but that may be the funniest thing I've read all week.

/It's Skype for Spyke. Works a charm.