Charleston Gazette-Mail Bankrupt, To be sold.

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

genlock

Charleston Gazette-Mail Bankrupt, To be sold.

Post by genlock »

The owners of the Charleston Gazette-Mail agreed Monday to take the company into Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Wheeling Newspapers is currently the high bidder to assume ownership of the company.

The company, operated by the Nutting family, owns more than 40 daily newspapers across the nation, including the Wheeling, Parkersburg, Martinsburg and Elkins newspapers in West Virginia.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
genlock

Re: Charleston Gazette-Mail Bankrupt, To be sold.

Post by genlock »

genlock

Post by genlock »

CHARLESTON, WV (WOWK) - The City of Charleston has received WARN notices from the Charleston Gazette-Mail.

According to Mayor Danny Jones, the Charleston Gazette-Mail will lay off around 206 employees being laid off on or around Friday, March 30th, 2018.

"I am extremely saddened by what is basically the end of an era. Hopefully, the new owners will give the current employees a new opportunity," said Mayor Jones.

Mayor Jones also said the Charleston Gazette-Mail is being sold to Wheeling Newspapers.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Andrea Lannom, Reporter for the Charleston Newspapers is Hosting for WV PBS on the evening Legislative show.
Replacing Beth Voorhees. Maybe she escaped just in time. Charleston Newspapers does the printing for the Logan Banner and the Huntington Newspaper, maybe others too. If the Gazette can't make it, How does the Huntington paper survive?
genlock

Post by genlock »

I wonder who else bid on the Charleston Newspaper package?
I would've Expected John Raese or Marshall Reynolds to at least sniff around.
I suspect these two might not be the Chilton's choice.
genlock

Post by genlock »

A picture is starting to form.

W Marston Becker, a Bray Cary ally, Is one of the investors.

And today from Metronews:

"H-D Media, headed by former state delegate and businessman Doug Reynolds, is buying the Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper out of bankruptcy.

Reynolds visited the newspaper this week to introduce himself to employees. He was accompanied by another investor, Brian Jarvis, owner of the Clarksburg Exponent-Telegram, plus Andy Knicely, publisher of the Clarksburg newspaper.

The deal sets up a partnership now among newspapers in Charleston, Huntington and Clarksburg."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Raese isn't known for being a stupid business man... and while I'm not a firm proponent of "print is dead", at least not yet, the fact they had 86'd themselves already means there's a BIG marketing hole they need to dig themselves out of, along with entire new ways of doing business. That's a level of financial retooling I can't imagine many being willing enough to undertake.