Rep's Top Fifty Albums Of All-Time

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rep's Top Fifty Albums Of All-Time

Post by Lester »

daveinthemorning wrote:Sure I'm in the minority here but it must be said..The Beatles are the most OVERATED band in history. Number one for the most part..they sucked. Number two NOTHING they did was groundbreaking. From their early days till the end nearly EVERYTHING they did was ripped off from someone else. OK, I'm done.
Fuckin' A. I think I have about 5 songs (and that's pretty liberal, but I don't want to count) that I think are OK.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Lester wrote:
daveinthemorning wrote:Sure I'm in the minority here but it must be said..The Beatles are the most OVERATED band in history. Number one for the most part..they sucked. Number two NOTHING they did was groundbreaking. From their early days till the end nearly EVERYTHING they did was ripped off from someone else. OK, I'm done.
Fuckin' A. I think I have about 5 songs (and that's pretty liberal, but I don't want to count) that I think are OK.
yeah, Sergeant Pepper, what a derivitive piece of crap. Revolution, EVERYBODY had already done that distorted metal guitar sound before. Paperback Writer, that 8 track multi-track recording thing will never catch on. Strawberry Fields, hadn't everybody already done the psychedelic backward tracking thing already.
Not stunningly original like Elvis...who recorded songs that had already been R & B hits.
Or the Stones, who learned to write songs from...uh...the Beatles.
Or the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson, who wrote Pet Sounds because of...uh...the Beatles.
Or every band ever to play a stadium...because...uh...the Beatles did it.
Or country rock...because...well... we know Rubber Soul was a total ripoff of...well...somebody.
Yeah, the Beatles sucked. That's why they're still one of the biggest selling bands in the world
Of course, we do have to blame them for boy bands too. So maybe they do suck.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

No music made by white males since 1964 would be what it is if The Beatles had not been what they were.

Sure, most of what they did from "Paperback Writer"/"Rain" and "Sergeant Pepper's" to the end was crap, but they changed the face of rock and roll.
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

They changed the face of pop music.

They were the first boy band.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

And just think: we can have this discussion three more times before the year is over...
Scott Reppert
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Scott Reppert wrote:And just think: we can have this discussion three more times before the year is over...
ONLY three more times? Sigh.

Liking or not liking any artist is purely subjective. But to say the Beatles sucked? Really?
I would ask how. Technically? Paul McCartney is one of the most inventive bass players ever. George Harrison was a magnificent guitar player. Lennon and McCartney both possessed incomparable singing voices. Their harmonies with George were perfect. Ringo Starr is one of the most underrated drummers ever. They're record production with George Martin pushed the boundaries of technology and art.
Sergeant Pepper was done on a freakin' 4 track recorder. To get that sound with that level of technology is astonishing.
Their versatility was unmatched. From pop to rockabilly to metal to country rock to psychedelic to English pub tunes, they did it all. Maybe not bebop jazz.

They literally, changed the world. From politics to fashion, the Sixties began and ended with them. They had one of the top 10 selling albums of the first decade of the 21st century...FORTY years after they broke up. I would love to suck like that.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Bob:

With you on 100% on all of that except one thing: George became a great guitarist DURING his Beatles career. I was amazed the first time I saw the '66 Budokan concerts back in the early 80's. Every guitar lick that I thought that George had played up to that point JOHN was playing. So I don't think that George was that good early on, but he certainly became great.

And let's just see any ol' drummer go out and attempt "Rain" without overdubbing...
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

Scott Reppert wrote:And just think: we can have this discussion three more times before the year is over...
Well, four if you count McCartney...
Scott Reppert
amayo

Post by amayo »

Forget everything you know about the Beatles, then listen to their debut album. Remember that this was recorded over the span of about 12 hours. Listen to the power and desire of the record from the covers to the few originals, and then tell me they are over rated. I am not a fanatic, but that FIRST is arguably the best debut record in history. Lennon arguably had one of the best male rock voices ever. McCartney always finds his way into best of lists, and the writing. Come on...Overrated?
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Sorry to interrupt and I'mma let you finish. But Beyonce had one of the best albums of all time.

OF ALL TIME!

[/cause it was bound to happen sooner or later]
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

35. Van Morrison / “The Best Of Van Morrison Volume 1”
Year Of Release: 1990
Top Tracks: “Jackie Wilson Said”, “Dweller On The Threshold”, “Wild Night”, “Here Comes The Night”, “Domino”

John Conrad keeps telling me there should be a tie in here somewhere. You know, a two albums for one position type of scenario. Well, this would be it. While “The Best Of...Volume 1” is a GREAT greatest hits package, there are still a TON of great Van songs on “The Best Of...Volume 2” (which I actually listen to more than this one, but I do acknowledge that this one is the overall better of the two). Seeing as how I never thought Van made a single great album (“Bang Masters” would probably be my favorite), he is one of the greatest writers I have ever heard. You get the full spectrum of Mr. Morrison on these two discs: all the way from Them (“Here Comes The Night”, “Don’t Look Back”, “Gloria”, and the third best version of “It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”...Manfred Mann’s Earth Band and The Chocolate Watchband coming in first and second), through his kick-butt middle period (“Domino”, “Wild Night”, “And It Stoned Me”, “Moondance”, “Jackie Wilson Said”), to his later period stuff, which I dearly love (“Real Real Gone”, “In The Garden”, “Englightenment”, “Dweller On The Threshold”, “Whenever God Shines His Light”). The only things missing between the two, in my opinion, are “T.B. Sheets”, “Why Must I Always Explain?” (a WMQC favorite) and “Tore Down a la Rimbaud”. Those three additions would make them indispensible. As they are, they are reserved for simple greatness...
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

34. Slade / “The Very Best Of Slade”
Year Of Release: 2005
Top Tracks: “Gypsy Roadhog”, “Bangin’ Man”, “Run Runaway”, “Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me”, “Gudbuy T’ Jane”

I had to get Slade in here somewhere and felt that this two CD compilation from 2005 was about the best way to do it. Just like most people know Ivory Joe Hunter’s songs from the late 1950’s by the “interpretations” of them done by Pat Boone, most people in the U.S. recognize Slade songs by their “interpretations” by Quiet Riot. Aside from not containing “Do We Still Do It” and possibly THE greatest live recording ever made (“Darling Be Home Soon” from “Slade Alive!”), this compilation has all of their U.K. chart-topping hits (“Cum On Feel The Noize”, “Mama Weer All Crazee Now”, “Bangin’ Man”, “Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me”, “Gudbuy T’ Jane”), their 1980’s “comeback” material (the U.S. hits “Run Runaway” and “My Oh My”), a lot of great album tracks that were not hits (“Gypsy Roadhog”, “Let’s Call It Quits”, “Wheels Ain’t Comin’ Down”) and their last U.K. smash (“Radio Wall Of Sound”). Now if they had only included a copy of their movie (“Slade In Flame”) on a DVD as a third disc in this set, it would draw it a little bit closer to telling the true story of one of the greatest British bands of all time. While “Slayed?”, “Slade Alive!” and the soundtrack to “Slade In Flame” may have been better flowing single LP’s, Slade is a group that had such a musically varied lifespan that no one album could contain all of the diverse samples in one sitting.
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

33. David Bowie / “The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust”
Year Of Release: 1972
Top Tracks: “Five Years”, “Starman”, “Rock And Roll Suicide”, “Ziggy Stardust”, “Suffragette City”, “Star”

Aside from the “Space Oddity” and “Changes” singles (each purchased at the legendary Alfie’s Coffee And Record Shop in Downtown Fairmont), this was my introduction to David Bowie. “Five Years” is still my favorite song of his and aside from the “What in the world was he thinking?” cover of Ray Davies’ “It Ain’t Easy”, this is a nearly flawless LP. Even the throwaway tunes (“Soul Love”, “Lady Stardust”) aren’t that bad and the middle-tier compositions (“Hang On To Yourself”, “Moonage Daydream”) are still better than a lot of what came from the Bowie repertoire immediately before this LP and definitely right after it. Mick Ronson is one of rock and roll’s usually unrecognized guitarists and his work on this project is nothing short of superb. Combine that with set after set of great Bowie lyrics and the whole thing becomes “an all the way through listening treat”. In the old days you could tell an album was great if it was one that you did not mind owning the eight track tape of. THIS is one of those...
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

32. The Alarm / “Standards”
Year Of Release: 1990
Top Tracks: “68 Guns”, “Spirit Of ‘76”, “Rescue Me”, “Absolute Reality”, “Blaze Of Glory”, “Rain In The Summertime”, "Strength", "Unsafe Building"

Often referred to a “poor man’s U2”, that is quite an unfair assessment of a band that made the inroads that they did on both the American and British charts during their 1983-1990 heyday. Six Top 20 Billboard Album Tracks, three Top 100 LP’s and usually Heavy Rotation airplay of each of their singles on College Radio and MTV gave America an ongoing glimpse into the talent of the band and the artistry of leader Mike Peters. Song after song and British hit after British hit fill out “Standards”. Aside from not running in true chronological order, there is basically nothing wrong with this greatest hits package culled from their I.R.S. years releases. You get the truly beautiful/powerful long version of “Spirit Of ‘76”, their MTV hit “Rain In The Summertime” and the “almost hit singles” of “Absolute Reality” and “Strength”. Also included here is “Sold Me Down The River”, which I still find hard to believe was their actual biggest Billboard Singles chart success. There is also the ORIGINAL VERSION of “Rescue Me”, which any of you familiar with Contemporary Christian Music will know was a big hit for Geoff Moore & The Distance. In case you did not know it, here is an interesting note about The Alarm: In February of 2004, The Alarm pulled off a masterful hoax on the British music industry by issuing a garagey punk-pop single called "45 RPM" under the fictitious name of The Poppy Fields. Mike Peters, having gotten positive feedback on the song, decided to disassociate it from his veteran band in order to have it judged on its own merits. He went on to recruit a young Welsh group called The Wayriders to lip-sync the song in the video. The so-called Poppy Fields took "45 RPM" into the U.K. Top 30 before the hoax was revealed...setting the stage for The Alarm’s first album in years to be released, including the single (“In the Poppy Fields”). Soon after the album's release, production for a film based on Peters’ manipulating of the music industry began with Shrek producer John H. Williams backing the project”.
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

31. Nick Lowe / “Basher”
Year Of Release: 1989
Top Tracks: “I Knew The Bride”, “American Squirm”, “Cruel To Be Kind”, “Ragin’ Eyes”, “So It Goes”, “I Love The Sound (Of Breaking Glass)”, "Marie Provost", "Heart Of The City"

From the very first time I heard the opening line of “So It Goes” on a Columbia promo 45 that was laying in a stack of “junk” in the back hallway of WTCS in 1978 I knew I was going to love the music of Nick Lowe. My research then took me to the fact that he was the “go to” producer at Stiff Records, which upped his status even more in my opinion. Throw in the facts that he had been the co-leader/co-founder of Brinsley Schwarz (“What’s So Funny About Peace, Love And Understanding?”) and was about to become Johnny Cash’s son-in-law were only two flavors of icing on the cake. His sense of humor shines through in some respect in almost every song and in some of the things that he did while releasing those songs (David Bowie named an album “Low”. Nick Lowe named an EP “Bowi”). In my quest to put Nick Lowe into this list somehow with a “Best Of” compilation, I noticed that NONE of them included one of his greatest songs (“Rollers Show”). Which also brings me to mention that it was included on his first US LP, “Pure Pop For Now People”…which Columbia thought calling it by it’s UK title was a bit risky (“Jesus Of Cool”). That is also the album from where “Marie Provost” comes from. Just the fact that SOMEONE could write a catchy, three minute pop song about THAT SUBJECT should alone be enough to warrant him enshrinement in Cleveland. Most of you know the hit (“Cruel To Be Kind”) and the semi-hits (“I Knew The Bride”, “Ragin’ Eyes”), but there is a lot more to be discovered here concerning one of rock and roll’s greatest producers and champion of the “sounds like a hit” single…whether it actually was or not. Had they added “I Love My Label”, “Darling Angel Eyes” and “Rollers Show”, this would have been a perfect compilation. Well, while we’re at it, throw in “Teacher Teacher” from Rockpile. He played bass and produced it…
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

30. T. Rex / “The Slider”
Year Of Release: 1972
Top Tracks: “Metal Guru”, “Telegram Sam”, “Spaceball Ricochet”, “Ballrooms Of Mars”, “Rabbit Fighter”, “Chariot Choogle”

Having been slightly disappointed in the fact that “Electric Warrior” did not pan out as an overall album in the way that “Bang A Gong” previewed it as a single, I passed on adding “The Slider” to my musical library until somewhere in the early ‘80’s. I went to this barn (seriously) with Tim Tarleton (of WTCS and WFGM) because I had heard that this family “had a whole bunch of records for sale in there”. I picked up my first copy of “The Slider” that day and was not disappointed at all. It is a more cohesive work than “Warrior”, with nary a song that screams “TAKE THIS CRAP OFF!” to the listener. The catchy three minute pop songs featuring Marc Bolan’s mostly non-sensical lyrics combined with very lean and superiorly clean production make this one of the most accessible albums of the “Glam Rock” era. Plus throw in the fact that Bolan was actually a REALLY GOOD guitarist fronting a band that could cook and you have the second in a troika of five star albums from a man that was definitely taken from us too early. In case you did not know, Marc was killed in a 1977 accident in a car driven by girlfriend Gloria Jones, who had done the original version of “Tainted Love” back in ’66. Although it contained no U.S. hits, “Metal Guru” and “Telegram Sam” were Top Ten in the U.K., while the title track to the project was the background music for one of the better recent Coca Cola commercials.
Scott Reppert
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

29. The Beatles / “Rubber Soul”
Year Of Release: 1965
Top Tracks: “Nowhere Man”, “In My Life”, “Girl”, “Run For Your Life”, “You Won’t See Me”, “If I Needed Someone”, "What Goes On", "Wait"

I used to be able to name every Beatles song in order as they appeared on the U.S. releases of their albums. Well, the CD releases of the U.K. versions has eliminated my ability to do that. I also used to be able to immediately remember at which store I bought each Beatles album. Old age has eliminated my ability to do that. I do, however, remember that I got my copy of “Rubber Soul” at an NRM at South Hills Shopping Center in Pittsburgh on the day that the news broke that told us that John Lennon had said that he felt that The Beatles were more popular than Jesus. Getting back to the difference between the U.S. and U.K. releases, this is one that really is done a disservice by the Captiol U.S. release. Even though it was still very good, with the U.K. album released the way it was INTENDED to be, you get a much greater glimpse into the genius that was the first four years of The Beatles existence. Most bands would be thrilled to have released “Nowhere Man”, “In My Life”, “Girl”, “Norwegian Wood” and “You Won’t See Me” in their CAREER. The Beatles did it on one album. And the George Harrison compositions, which had always been second rate at best on prior Beatles projects, were downright near highlights on “Rubber Soul” (“Think For Yourself” and “If I Needed Someone”). The highlights here, though, are the songs that aren’t the ones that you continually hear over and over. “Run For Your Life” is a great John Lennon rock song, “Wait” is a classic Beatles collaborative effort and “I’m Looking Through You” shows how intricate their songwriting skill and musicianship had progressed over the last year. On a personal level, my favorite song here is the Ringo sung “What Goes On”, which holds a place in Beatles trivia as the only Lennon-McCartney-Starkey credited composition.
Scott Reppert
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

I've always thought of Rubber Soul as a transitional album for the Beatles as they moved from a cover/original pop band into groundbreaking territory that would be epitomized by Sgt. Pepper and Abbey Road.
You can hear the growth in their abilities with the songs you mentioned as every single aspect of the production, from song writing to recording, shows explosive progress. What GREAT songs!
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

I would place Dark Side Of The Moon as one of the best all time albums. One could argue that it's been overexposed, but I don't think that diminishes the fact that the material is awesome, and the production is spectacular. No Protools tricks here - catch the VH1 Classic Albums presentation some time. Also, since a comedy album is included, I see no reason to shut out country. Jamie Johnson's "That Lonesome Song" is packed with incredibly written songs, and the production proves that sometimes it's what you leave OUT that makes the sound sparkle.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

One of the things about this list I am compiling here is the fact that I have had to OWN a copy of the album that is included. There are a TON of great albums out there that I have never owned a copy of that probably should be included but are not due to the "Ownership Rule".

What made me think of that was the word "country". I don't think I have ever owned a country album aside from:
Johnny Cash's "Original Golden Hits Vol. 2"
Johnny Cash's "His Greatest Hits Vol. 2"
The Dillards' "Back Porch Bluegrass"
Buck Owens' "The Best Of Buck Owens Vol. 2"

Although I am trying to track down a nice copy of The Vandergrift Brothers "Corner Of My Eye" 45 from 1961 on King. I thought it was the one 45 RPM disc that I had held onto, but now I can't find it and want to make a digital copy of it.

What does it all prove? I must like Volume 2's...
Scott Reppert