Hallburn v. Hurricane

This is a good place to drop general and weird news, entertainment, and general show prep material that might be interesting to air talent or producers. Hot dog threads ALWAYS welcome.

Moderators: The People's DJ, David Paleg

ap news alert

Hallburn v. Hurricane

Post by ap news alert »

This just in. According to the scanner, police are searching for Mark Hallburn. He is accused of assaulting the Mayor of Hurricane following a meeting at city hall. Please don't go to PutnamLive.com for the latest details. :twisted:
genlock

Post by genlock »

Is this bullshit?
genlock

Post by genlock »

What is the active frequency that we may hear Hallburn news on?
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

What in the living hell is this dude's deal? I gave him the benefit of the doubt and focused all of my smart-assed hatred toward Bob Campbell of Magic 94.7 because I've been in this town for 5 months and the jerk has yet to buy me a drink or anything!

Now, I have no other choice...you lucked out this time, Bob...but never worry, your time will come.
The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

Interestingly enough, apparently last week the 'gentleman'
in question apparently called Mr. Roten of WVHU and in what may or may not have been a paid infomercial delivered a long speech about WalMart, what he alleged was corruption in Hurricane, and on and on in similar fashion. Tom, as per usual, apparently hemmed and hawed in agreement.

And now, this. . .
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

I don't see him up on the trusty olde wvrja.com site.....yet!!
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

Haven't seen anything either...

I'm diggin' Cameron's makeover, by the way, there Herdgirl...
ap news alert

Hallburn claims no stalkng, just journalism.

Post by ap news alert »

By Mark Hallburn
Publisher

Mayor Scott D. Edwards has been ducking my legitimate questions about the ouster of Chief of Police Sonny "Joe" Sisk, (while talking to other reporters) ignoring my family's complaints about excessive construction noise, and, most recently, declining to return my call about the unlocked ballot box. So when I saw him driving in my neighborhood, I attempted to flag him down to ask a few questions. Instead, Edwards tried to avoid me, and called police officers who have no choice but to follow his orders or risk termination.

One officer inferred that I might be "stalking" Edwards which has no credibility considering I wasn't near Edwards when I was pulled over. When I advised that I was exercising my First Amendment rights as a journalist to question a member of government and to redress my grievances with a government leader, the officer, whose name I am withholding to protect his privacy, seized my driver's license for about 10 minutes before sending me on my way without a warning or a citation.

At no time was I given probable cause for being pulled over because there simply was not any probable cause other than a politician who does not like my reporting. This is another case of a government leader stomping on The First Amendment because it is getting in the way of his agenda.

Scott Edwards needs to tell Hurricane citizens why he demoted Chief Sisk. He needs to explain why he won't enforce the noise and nuisance ordinances on construction sites. He needs to answer questions about the unlocked ballot box. And Scott Edwards needs to explain why Hurricane hasn't repealed the new water surcharge when the reservoirs are full.

Instead, Mayor Edwards forces the Hurricane Police to protect him from legitimate tough questions. This is a chicken way of dealing with issues and a waste of Hurricane tax dollars and resources. The police need to be out solving crimes, not shielding Edwards from issues and questions. If he wants a personal security force he should hire one.

When I asked the officers for a complaint form, they refused to provide one. I contacted the West Virginia State Police, however Trooper Mills says only Hurricane PD can take complaints. That request was refused.

Obviously I am being harassed, so this article, the photos that I took (see above this article) as well as an audio recording are being forwarded to my attorney, Mike Clifford.

This is not the first time that I have been harassed after speaking out or publishing a story that reflects badly on the City of Hurricane. Four years ago, before the debut of PutnamLIVE.com I was interviewed by WSAZ about Hurricane's refusal to enforce the noise and nuisance ordinances against a neighboring property. The next morning our house was set on fire. The arson, and attempted murder of my wife and I have not been solved. After I broke the story of L.D. Foster's firing as Chief of Police, my family was harassed about our dog being loose in our yard without a leash. (I was acquitted of the leash citations.) After I reported that City Manager Ben Newhouse does not live in Hurricane and asked questions about one of the Wal-Mart construction site blasters being unlicensed, Hurricane PD arrested me in January. I was acquitted of that charge in April of this year. This summer, after I ran a story about the run-down conditions of the Old Town Hall, now owned by Edwards, he asked Hurricane PD to order me not to trespass on his business and residential properties. (No trespassing had ever occurred. Zoom lenses were used).

The City of Hurricane needs to stop harassing its citizens and ethical employees. No matter how often city officials abuse their authority and harass and detain me, I will not stop reporting news in Hurricane or anywhere else in Putnam County.
BobFrank

Post by BobFrank »

wait...he wrote something bad about the town of Hurricane and he is insinuating that the Hurricane PD or the mayor of the town set his house on fire?! 8O

But then just let his dog out of his yard without a leash?

You would think if they were really out to get him, they would start small (dog out without a leash) and then go to the setting fire to his house.

Wow....what a looney! See, this is why I quit reporting the "news". People like that make life for the independent journalist tough. Yeah, it was radio and TV station news, but still.

Take Care,

Tybois Uphold
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Sorry Clay. While it is usually my policy to shit on the desk of anyone who works at another station in town, I will suspend this policy in your case.
Drinks on me whenever we can fit it in our schedules. When are you on dude? Sorry, if I listen to country for more than 30 seconds, my teeth start falling out.

Uh....what was this thread about?
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Uh, I want free drinks, too.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
genlock

Post by genlock »

I'm in. This guy works in Charlotte so he makes a lot of money so he could afford steaks too.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Greensboro, but we cover Charlotte pretty well. And the counties they just added to make it market 25 are all counties we dominate so that won't hurt.
I do not make the big bucks. Well, big is relative.
The People's DJ
Pimp Hand
Pimp Hand

Post by The People's DJ »

I hate to type this but it won't surprise me when someone post this following headline:

Putnam County Man Found Dead.
Mysterious reason for death.

Also, he's not a "journalist". After reading this:
(No trespassing had ever occurred. Zoom lenses were used)
he's a worthless paparazzi.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Once a famed radio new director for WKLC, Mark Hallburn has gone over the edge. I still don't know whether the assult thisn was bullshit.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I thought that retard was moving away?
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Lee wrote:I thought that retard was moving away?

Yeah. What gives?
genlock

Post by genlock »

Apparently the story was bullshit.
I did have my hopes up.
PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

Not all independent journalists are bad. I was independent for three years before landing in the radio news world. I got my current print job as editor due in part to my freelance blog reporting. But this guy really is a loon and a publicity hound.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
CoolBreeze

Post by CoolBreeze »

"I know I've got a lot against me: I'm White, I'm Protestant, I'm hard working. Don't you have an Amendment to protect me"? Archie Bunker