CD101...

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Lee

CD101...

Post by Lee »

Am I the only fan of this station? I'm surprised it doesn't draw bigger ratings. Of course, this is my own personal opinion! ;)
twitter.com/CrypticBullshit
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

No, you're not the only fan. CD rocks!

One of the best radio station logos EVER:

Simple. Clean. Instantly recognizable.

:wink:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Hey, count me in! But as HD spelled out in the Beck thread, it's is one of those cursed Class A suburban stations (WWCD, Grove City). With a TX near I-270 & US 23, its skyline shadow falls over the neighborhoods (Short North, campus, Clintonville) where its programming has the most appeal. Plus CD carries Blue Jackets hockey, which can't help its ratings. But it's locally owned with a loyal, happy staff and appears to be doing fine at the bottom line.

Listen live at http://www.cd101.com/
Last edited by Dr. Whiplash on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:But it's locally owned and, from most accounts, is doing fine at the bottom line. http://www.cd101.com/
I think that's the ONE THING that stands out when you listen. It's like 1970 again for me, when stand-alone radio stations were the norm and not the (failing) exception. EVERYONE at CD101 works toward making an exceptional on-air product for ONE STATION. Sales, air talent, production, engineering, administration, the whole show -- it's all for 101.1 FM. CD101 is their baby -- the only child, so to speak -- and the success or failure of that station charts the success of the employees. There are no write-offs, no flanking stations to bail your ass out of a bad book, and no gross financial stability to be gained by using one employee to run 10 radio stations at the same time.

To survive in Columbus, with the likes of QFM96, 99.7 The Blitz, WNCI, The Brew, The Big Wazoo, TedFM (to name the current and former rock stations) breathing down your back, along with 20-some other AM and FM signals, the Sirius/XM satellite boys, and a heavy broadband and wi-fi saturation giving a half million residents access to all those netcasters, CD101 must be doing something right. They have a large, loyal fan base, and they're obviously paying the bills and making a profit.

8)
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

Post by Lee »

ACRN at OU in Athens, OH is alot like CD 101 but run more "specialty shows"...well they did when I was there! ;)

Last I heard they were on the AM band up there...any news otherwise?

I know for some reason Power 105 hated ACRN...but they were totally different formats.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Originally closed-circuit on campus, then on cable, now worldwide (hide the children) at http://www.acrn.com

"All about the Lobster: ACRN stands for the All-Campus Radio Network. We are an all-student-run college radio station broadcasting from Ohio University on high bandwidth, playing a "college rock" format, with specialty shows as well!"
Last edited by Dr. Whiplash on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Lee wrote:ACRN at OU in Athens, OH is alot like CD 101 but run more "specialty shows"...well they did when I was there! ;) Last I heard they were on the AM band up there...any news otherwise?
If they are, it's carrier current in the dorms. Nothing commercial power. I always understood ACRN to be carried via fiber optics and available through your computer anywhere on campus. I can't imagine an 18 year old on the third floor of Wray House switching the boombox to AM just to hear Panic! at the Disco.
I know for some reason Power 105 hated ACRN...but they were totally different formats.
Power 105 is one of the most bizarre radio stations I've ever heard. What IS their format? Years ago, I thought Power 105 was a campus station, because they played EVERYTHING in no discernable order. Salt N' Pepa's "Push It" into U2/BB King's "When Love Comes To Town", then idle talk about NOTHING, then Sheryl Crow's "All I Want To Do" into Nine Inch Nails "Head Like A Hole" into "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson. Unreal. You can't even classify it as a "Jack" format, because, even with "Jack", there are guidelines. And no pointless talking.

:lol:
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

By the way, check out ACRN's new home: Baker Center II

Sweet Jesus.

http://www.ohio.edu/center/

Your tax dollars and tuition money at work.

8)
Last edited by Hoosier Daddy on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

(My editing fetish laid bare in this thread...)

Powerless 105 is a strange critter. Take a county of 63,000, including a university community of 25,000, with two commercial FMs, one of which is mainstream country. Whaddaya do with the other one? Apparently whatever you want.

Back when the Doctor was attending OU, 105.5 was one of the best damn small town AORs around, WATH-FM. But when the Palmers bought it, they fired the staff and slapped on a shitty automation system with a "mix" of formats. Incredibly, 30 years later they are still at it, albeit with a staff.

I've always figured that 'XTQ goes to show that when you have the only show in town, you can throw damn near anything on the air and still make money.
Lee

Post by Lee »

I remember them (Power 105) even playing some Weird Al cuts, and even if Weird Al scores a hit with one of his parodies, I never hear it on the radio (the times I'm listening anyway).

Power 105 *IS* all over the place, they were "JACK" before "JACK" became cool! ;)

OU still has dorm based radio stations, one I remember was at Lincoln Hall. At the end of the quarter they gave us all free swag for just showing up and doing a shift...

I thought I was "cool" because I was playing Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir and thinking everyone in Athens was listening to me....

:lol:
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Dr. Whiplash wrote:I've always figured that 'XTQ goes to show that when you have the only show in town, you can throw damn near anything on the air and still make money.
You can't hear most Columbus stations in Athens, but 101.5 The River from Gallipolis (rhymes with Gallon o' Piss), Jackson's Mix 96 and Classic Rock WYRO, and most of the "Point 1" Parkersburg stations (95.1, 100.1, 102.1, 103.1, 106.1) make it into the Emerald City. All of those stations have a definable format, unlike Power 105.5.

I'm sure WXTQ blankets the dorms and Court Street on clock radios, but anyone with any kind of real radio should be able to recieve a variety of stations.

Oddly enough, I DO like the Oldies AM station at 970 kc.

And I like the Jambulance ...

:)
Dr. Whiplash

Post by Dr. Whiplash »

Well, those with a good radio who don't live in a dorm, apartment complex, or wrong side of a hill. Only 'XIL really booms in. Now that Larry Patrick no longer owns WRYV, none of the outta-towners sell in Athens. Dave Palmer owns a 6000-watt printing press.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

I've seen those 101.ONE stickers all over the place...even nowhere near Columbus. CD101 has a life of its own, sort of like the late WOXY.

I've been to Athens a few times (had a sibling go to OU) and Hoosier's description of what comes in there is about right. If you had a crappy radio, about the best you could get was 105.5, 107.7, and maybe 96.7. A good radio would get you Hoosier's list and also WPAY at 104.1 (back when they were at full power). There used to be a translator for WSNY from Columbus, but it went away when the preacher station on 95.9 went on. Tom's translator for Marietta didn't exist back then either.

If I'd had satellite radio back then, I would have definitely been using it on Route 50.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

sportsvoice wrote:sort of like the late WOXY.
:cry: R.I.P.
A good radio would get you Hoosier's list and also WPAY at 104.1 (back when they were at full power).
Still does, as of about a week ago.
There used to be a translator for WSNY from Columbus, but it went away when the preacher station on 95.9 went on. Tom's translator for Marietta didn't exist back then either.
Marietta College (Tom Taggart's translator) is on 97.3 in Athens with a handful of watts and GREAT audio quality. The religious station is at 95.9. There's an LPFM on 106.7 that plays oldies, and another one at 104.5 that broadcasts from a church with (more) religious programming. Of course, Ohio University has their 50 kW NPR blowtorch out on Radford Road, along with a 500 watt AM in the middle of a soccer field on 1340 kc.

Except for the (substantial) University crowd that listens to NPR and/or MC, most people around Athens County still listen to either 105.5 or 107.7. The others really aren't a blip on the radar.

8)
Uncle Shishkabob

Post by Uncle Shishkabob »

Back in '74-76 The Palmers and WATH were a target.Myself along with others at 1340 WOUB ran after them big time. We even did record hops and saved up enough money and bought 2-cuts of TM's Shockwave jingle package. ( Heck TM tosssed in the 100 key sounds)

Also when we were on summer staff in 1975 as legend has it, one night,we polished off several pitchers of Schlutz Malt at MaGoos and then went back up to the RTV Center, slapped on a reel of Scotch 206 and sang the "There Buddy" jingle package lampooning WMPO in Pomerantz...or what ever that s**t town is. If you've not heard the "There Buddy" demo go to Uncle Ricky's sight and check it out. WITH THE SHEEP AFTER MIDNIGHT....WMPO!...there buddy!!!!! :lol: