Bonneville, Entercom To Exchange Stations

If it's happening around us, post it here. All topics regarding our border states go here.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Mr. Jones

Bonneville, Entercom To Exchange Stations

Post by Mr. Jones »

This involves Cincinnati.

R&R:

[quote]By Mike Boyle

Bonneville International and Entercom have entered into a station swap that involves properties in San Francisco, Seattle and Cincinnati.

With this transaction, Bonneville will re-enter the Seattle market with the acquisition of Entercoms’s news/talk KIRO-AM, oldies KBSG and talk KTTH-AM. They’ll also be gaining Entercom’s hot AC WKRQ, rock WSWD, country WUBE and country WYGY/Cincinnati.

In return, Bonneville is trading to Entercom its San Francisco properties: classical KDFC, adult hits KMAX, and AC KOIT. When the transaction is complete, Entercom will still have a presence in the Seattle market while retaining ownership of active rock KISW, alternative KNDD, triple A KMTT and country KKWF.

“We are very pleased to announce the acquisition of this terrific group of stations in San Francisco, one of America's greatest markets,â€
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

...Entercom president and CEO David J. Field said in a release. “This is a bittersweet event for us as we will be parting with so many wonderful members of the Entercom team in Seattle and Cincinnati, some of whom we have worked with for more than a decade.
:lol: It's...well, uh...um.....gee, uh, while they've been in Seattle more than ten years, of course, have they been in Cincinnati more than ten weeks yet?!? :lol:

Well, ya know, ya say what ya say at these moments....

Entercom looks to have gotten the better end of this deal, but it'll be nice to have more Bonneville around....
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Is Bonneville still affiliated with the LDS Church? I always wondered how LDS can preach a squeaky clean lifestyle and own radio stations companies that play Prince and Madonna-and keep a straight face all of the way.
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
jag

Post by jag »

Well, you know, Mark, the LD$ church didn't get to be the wealthie$t church in the world by not knowing $omething about finance. And, plea$e don't think I'm ba$hing Mormon$ or their belief$. Far from it. $urely, they're not the only group with tie$ to big bu$iness. I re$pect and $upport individual choice with regard to churche$. All churche$ are involved in endeavor$ that help to fill the tithing envelope$.
sportsvoice

Post by sportsvoice »

They always did call KOIT-FM "The Mormon Money Machine".
genlock

Post by genlock »

Bonneville International Corporation, managed by Deseret Management Corporation, is a broadcasting company wholly owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS Church). Headquartered in the Triad Center Broadcast House in Salt Lake City, Utah, Bonneville's name alludes to the prehistoric Lake Bonneville which once covered much of modern-day Utah.
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

jag wrote:Well, you know, Mark, the LD$ church didn't get to be the wealthie$t church in the world....
I do believe the Catholic church holds that distinction by many a mile....

kentuckymedia

$WAPPING $TATION$ IN CINCINNATI I$ ALL ABOUT THE DOLLAR$

Post by kentuckymedia »

Totally agree with the po$ter above about the $wap $hop involved in the ENTERCOM and BONNEVILLE $wap!

It will be intere$ting what they decide to do with the clu$ter. Dont $ee much changing when it come$ to WUBE (COUNTRY 105.3) and WYGY (COUNTRY 97.3). However, with BONNEVILLE being more con$ervative than WVDOT, it will be interesting to see what they do with W$WD (ALTERNATIVE) and WKRQ (101.9 ADULT CHR).

I am $ure this had been in the work$ for a while now. E$pecially with the purcha$e of Cincinnati. They could have offered Memphi$ or even Au$tin, but there is $omething in Cincinnati that BONNEVILLE want$$$$$$$$

With the recent rating$ in Cincinnati, I hope that they keep 101.9 the $ame and maybe look at W$WD a little bit, but not too much.

I gue$$ we'll $ee after the end of the year.
be sure to visit us online at kentuckymedia.blogspot.com
genlock

Post by genlock »

The Salt Lake City BENGALS?
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

I think you guys are over-conservatizing the company's stations....

I don't see any reason that any of the stations would have huge changes based solely on the change in ownership.

AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

Entercom will still have a presence in the Seattle market while retaining ownership of active rock KISW, alternative KNDD, triple A KMTT and country KKWF.
Whew. I was concerned about KISW/KNDD there for a minute, as Bonneville's track record with active/alternative is not very favorable.
Mark Hallburn wrote:I always wondered how LDS can preach a squeaky clean lifestyle and own radio stations companies that play Prince and Madonna-and keep a straight face all of the way.
Easy. Business is business. If they are in the radio business, they need to have stuff on their stations that will make people tune in--including playing the hits.

They do refuse to air "sin" commercials, like alcohol and lottery commercials. They also play squeaky clean song edits on their contemporary stations.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Genlock:

There will never be an NFL team in Salt Lake City.

1) The NFL plays on Sunday. Salt Lake City nearly shuts down on Sunday (with the exception of LDS churches.)

2) Beer is sold at NFL games. I don't think this would fly in Salt Lake City.

3) I don't think most NFL players would want to live in Salt Lake City.

4) I don't think NFL cheerleaders would pass a Salt Lake City dress code.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

Bonneville's potential moves in DC have been quite the fodder for DCRTV's mailbag. It looks like classical music is going to return to WETA 90.9, the WGMS calls will be parked on WETA's repeater in Hagerstown, and Bonneville will give the finger to Dan Snyder and start their own sports station on 104.1/103.9.
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Mark Hallburn

Post by Mark Hallburn »

Bonneville, a LDS company giving the finger?

Surely you jest!
News For Putnam County
www.PutnamLIVE.com
Dave Loudin

Post by Dave Loudin »

I guess Utah decorum won out...

Instead of going sports, 104.1/103.9 is now "George 104" playing "70's, 80's, and whatever we want."
Aircheck? You'd make a great board op.
Mr. Jones

Post by Mr. Jones »

Dave Loudin wrote:I guess Utah decorum won out...

Instead of going sports, 104.1/103.9 is now "George 104" playing "70's, 80's, and whatever we want."
Just listened to the changeover...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGMS_(FM) (link at the bottom)

... and I think it was a little melodramatic on the 'GMS side.

But then again, it just goes to show that no matter what the history of a station, or set of call letters, it can all go away in a matter of minutes thanks to the deep pockets of a new owner.

Or in this case, the threat of a new owner.
AmpedNow

Post by AmpedNow »

http://www.george104.com/

I get the feeling that this is a temporary holdout format... Otherwise, Mix 107.3 will hand their ass to them--again.

The reason Daniel Snyder is holding out is to see if CC puts 100.3 on the market, as has been rumored.

If Snyder gets 100.3, Bonneville will flip 104.1 to sports talk to be a thorn in his side.

If Snyder doesn't get it, and settles on 104, it's going Redskins/ESPN Radio.

Either way, this format will be short lived. It sounds stale and automated.
Dr. Loomis

Post by Dr. Loomis »

K-Rock wrote:http://www.george104.com/

I get the feeling that this is a temporary holdout format... Otherwise, Mix 107.3 will hand their ass to them--again.

The reason Daniel Snyder is holding out is to see if CC puts 100.3 on the market, as has been rumored.

If Snyder gets 100.3, Bonneville will flip 104.1 to sports talk to be a thorn in his side.

If Snyder doesn't get it, and settles on 104, it's going Redskins/ESPN Radio.

Either way, this format will be short lived. It sounds stale and automated.
I think you're right. Yesterday afternoon after the switch to "George 104," they were discussing it on WTOP (which is co-owned by Bonneville). They all but admitted that 104 is still very much for sale, and that Dan Snyder's people simply stopped returning their calls.

With Sports Talk 980, I don't see how there would be room for three sports talk stations in the market, and with all of the local play-by-play that 980 carries, I don't see them going away anytime soon.

And for whatever reason, since the switch, 104 seems to have turned off their HD exciter and gone back to mono, which is how they were broadcasting in the Z104 days before classical WGMS moved to 104.