TV picture presentation

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Hoss

TV picture presentation

Post by Hoss »

Why does no broadcaster or TV provider care about picture presentation anymore? I see an old shoot’em up advertised and tune in to watch. The picture I’m presented is a letter box inside a pillar box. My TV is set to pass what comes to it and yes I can change my aspect ratio but once it has been cut off it is gone. My enjoyment is sometimes related to the great cinematography that directors and photographers crafted. It’s a shame they disservice these craft people. On a more hilarious note my wife watches a local news show with two women hosts talking and sometimes interviewing a guest that sits between them. When there is no guest she hears the two hosts and sees their legs but on my cable provider somewhere the rest of the hosts are cut off. Just business probably cost more time, effort and expense to try and fix. You know I take my lumps for my 40 year broadcast career that eventually evolved into the three main considerations, was it sellable, promotable or a ratings driver. Money always talks and many times quality walks. Thankfully I always had Rod Morrison to bring me back on track and remember that service to the viewer and the community was what broadcasting was founded on.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.