Station calls that no longer work

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Greg Goodfellow

Station calls that no longer work

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

WTRF-TV in Wheeling...TRF stood for 'two radio frequencies,' both of which were eliminated many years ago. I get the history, but, with new ownership, perhaps calls that better represent them NOW would be better. Any other examples, gentlemen, along with any ladies out there?
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
WV Newsnut

Re: Station calls that no longer work

Post by WV Newsnut »

WTRF just needs to be blown up and rebuilt from the bottom up. It is almost a non-competing station in a two station market. WTOV outperforms them 5 to 1 in most day parts. It is really sad to see how far down hill they have fallen.
Greg Goodfellow

Re: Station calls that no longer work

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

When looking up WTRF-TV on Wikipedia, they spoke of the disastrous changes they made 40 years ago. For example, as an NBC station, they were able to compete with one of NBC's weakest affiliates in then-WIIC in Pittsburgh, now WPXI (I think), but after the change to CBS, they went up against one of the nation's strongest CBS affiliates in KDKA. They lost FOX to WTOV due to lack of due diligence. They do have some good people there, who work hard at their craft, but they have to be given a whole lot more money to ever honestly compete. Right now, it doesn't appear that Nexstar is opening the coffers. They certainly have deserved far better for decades.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen