R.I.P. Greg Carter

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

unchoopfan

R.I.P. Greg Carter

Post by unchoopfan »

Greg Carter, who spent the better part of 30 years working in WV broadcasting and media, passed away earlier today at Parkersburg's Camden Clark Memorial Hospital. After suffering a heart attack in 2015, Greg had heart bypass surgery and recovered to work a full slate of high school broadcasts during the 2015-2016 basketball season. He had continued to deal with some challenges with his health over recent months.

A Ravenswood native, Greg spent stints at several radio stations thought the Mid-Ohio Valley and Central WV over the past three decades. Greg also worked in print journalism, working early in his career in his hometown with the Jackson Star-News and Star Printing. Greg was a former GM & air personality at Pt. Pleasant's Big Country 99.5 FM, before moving onto Parkersburg's Z106 FM. Carter later worked with WV Radio Corp's Charleston cluster of stations, primarily on-air at 96.1 FM. Greg served as GM and air personality for Ravenswood's WMOV AM-FM, He also served as GM & air personality for WVRC's 3WS-FM in Summersville, eventually moving on to Beckley's WJLS-FM. Greg also worked in the Beaufort-Hilton Head Island, SC market during the 2000's.

Greg was a veteran sports broadcaster, serving as play-by-play voice over the years for Pt. Pleasant, Nicholas County, and his beloved alma mater Ravenswood High, among other schools he covered. After his move to Parkersburg in 2014, he continued his coverage of high school sports thru his WVSportsOnline.com website - focusing primarily on coverage of Wood County's four high school programs. Greg is survived by his wife, Christine, and his children, Bradley, Megan and Chris. Funeral arrangements are pending.
Greg Goodfellow

Re: R.I.P. Greg Carter

Post by Greg Goodfellow »

He also did excellent sideline reporting on LiteRock 93R. I had the opportunity to be around him when all the broadcasting crews met up on Pike Hill after the games. What a genuinely nice man.
"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."
~ Fred Allen ~

“Radio is the theater of the mind; television is the theater of the mindless”-Steve Allen
unchoopfan

Re: R.I.P. Greg Carter

Post by unchoopfan »

Gregory Dean Carter, 55, of Parkersburg, WV, formerly of Ravenswood, passed away on November 1, 2016, in Parkersburg, WV.

He was born on September 15, 1961, in Alexandria, VA, the son of Frederick Dean and Sally Lou Cain Carter.

Greg was an Eagle Scout, Troop 43, First United Methodist Church. He was a 1979 graduate of Ravenswood High School where he was bass drummer for the band and also a member of the Chambers Singers. He attended WV Tech in Montgomery, WV.

He was formerly employed by Z106, C-98, WMOV, WNRJ, Adventure Radio in Hilton Head/Savannah; the WV Radio Corp in Summersville, Beckley and Charleston, WV, he was the recipient of 14 West Virginia Radio Broadcaster Awards of Excellence, and was also employed by the Ravenswood News.

He participated in Ravenswood Adopt-A-Family, and was always willing to help with a school and community project. He enjoyed his family, kayaking, and photography.

He is survived by his wife, Christine Moore Carter of Parkersburg, WV; parents, Sally and Dean Carter of Ravenswood; children, Christopher Carter of Silverton, WV, Megan (Michael) Speece of Ravenswood, and Bradley Carter of Summersville, WV; stepdaughter, Laura (Bobby) Zubreski of Vienna, WV; grandchildren, Calie Mae Carter, Madison and Hayden Speece; sisters, Michele (Gordon) Clark of West Columbia, WV; and Lori (Matt) Rocker of Haymarket, VA; and several nieces and nephews.

He was preceded in death by a sister, Stephanie Ann Carter.

Services will be held on Saturday, November 5, 2016, at 3:00 pm at Roush Funeral Home, Ravenswood, WV, with Reverend Frank Miller officiating.

Friends may visit the family at Roush Funeral Home on Saturday, November 5, from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm.

Condolences may be expressed to the family at roush94@yahoo.com or on the Roush Funeral Home Facebook Page.