How about 13 News with Clint McElroy?

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

the jive talkin one

How about 13 News with Clint McElroy?

Post by the jive talkin one »

WOWK is almost there.

The weather team has certainly surpassed its rivals in recent years, in terms of both credibility and likeability.

But...the news anchors are stiff, and (with the exception of veteran Jack Kane) clearly are not local natives.

There's an answer, if Bray Cary is willing to do something that may be seen as a little radical: sign on a well-known radio host, who also has solid journalistic chops.

Clint McElroy studied at the feet of Bos Johnson, and managed the top-notch radio news operation in the local market in the 80s. He was the President of the West Virginia Associated Press Broadcasters, and in my humble opinion, could be a regular (maybe even Charles Osgood's replacement) on CBS Sunday Morning if he had chosen to leave the area.

He also happens to be the funniest human being I have ever known personally.

As a lead anchor at WOWK, he would enliven the operation, which is already firing on MOST cylinders, but not all.

He'd look especially good alongside Sandra Cole, if she could be coaxed back into a co-anchor chair....

What do you think?
- the life and health insurance broker formerly known as Joel Jackson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Your-Life ... nfo&ref=mf
genlock

Re: How about 13 News with Clint McElroy?

Post by genlock »

NO.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

With very few exceptions any experienced radio personality does not make a good TV personality. Just seems to be the way it works. Now early transitions sometimes work. Just my observation working both sides. I spent my first years out West doing TV engineering full time and prostituting my license at small market AM radio stations.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

What do you have against Clint?

I wouldn't wish working for that horrible operation on my worst enemy.
the jive talkin one

I just know how good Clint is at news. He was damn good competition when I was at WTCR and he ran the WKEE news operation with 4 fulltime reporters under him (those were the days, indeed!). His wisdom and writing style would certainly jump start not only WOWK's operation, but the entire market, IMHO. He is so underutilized at the number two country radio station in the market....especially now that he's only the number two comedy bit guy on the morning show!

genlock

Post by genlock »

People would never know if the next story would come from Ducky Crabtree or Ron Burgundy.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

The Interpreter wrote:What do you have against Clint?

I wouldn't wish working for that horrible operation on my worst enemy.
I only know of one other business in WV that I would classify as having a worse leader than Bray Cary and I would not wish that anyone would work for either of these two companies.

And yes, Clint has the skills to perform almost every possible job within Bray's operations, but I am not sure if he would be willing to put up with all the crap that occurs in that company. I imagine that WV Media Holdings is about like iHeartMedia without the love and encouraging work environment.
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

His wisdom and writing style would certainly jump start not only WOWK's operation, but the entire market,
No person or action has ever been able to make that kind of change in the Huntington / Charleston DMA. In recent memory at least for me, was the 13 helicopter and 13's commitment to fund news with a certain percentage of the gross billing. It made a difference and 13 beat 8 out of its 2nd place spot but the commitment just didn't last and 8's do nothing reaction eventually paid off after the 13 money stopped and 8 returned to the #1 spot in the Metro counties. Of course 3 just laughed and continued to dominate the market in all those places 8 & 13 just got no or very weak signal (along with no cable penetration due to that reason) and 3 had the numbers to take all the national business it wanted and left whatever they wanted on the table and that was very little. Alas the market changes but always returns to same old.
I hold that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing. Thomas Jefferson, January 30, 1787.
the jive talkin one

By bringing up Crabtree and Burgandy, you are ignoring Clint's skills as a writer (a trained journalist, not just a comedy writer). I would love to watch newscasts (including the statewide "Tonight Live"?) done in the writing style that "KEE News" used under his direction.

He was also the President of the West Virginia AP Broadcasters one year....and he made the newsletter something to truly look forward to for his editorials.

Again, he doesn't deserve to be the second banana to Cletus T. Judd. And we don't deserve to have to put up with news writing-as-usual, when such a talented person is in our midst!

genlock

Post by genlock »

Perhaps Clint should present himself to WOWK management and offer to prove himself
worthy of a job in TV by applying for a job as reporter or producer (both open). The
business of TV news has changed a lot since Clint was at Bos Johnson's feet and there is a
lot of technology to be mastered. Even the "Writing" of stories for presentation now is different.
It is necessary to format the stories for broadcast (prompter)(grafx)(Video inserts)(efx) as well as
for the station web site and twitter feed. Lots of embedded code and stuff. I don't think that
anchors are allowed to sit around and preen all day. Even they have to know how to do this stuff.
Can Ducky do this? I doubt if Bray pays for OJT. Look at some of his reporters. Masters degrees
from Northwestern University's Medill Journo School! Fill out an application. Lets see what happens.
The Interpreter

Post by The Interpreter »

I still don't see what y'all have against Clint.

I'd not wish working at 13 on Mr. Snowden, much less Clint.

Why?
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

The Interpreter wrote:I still don't see what y'all have against Clint.

I'd not wish working at 13 on Mr. Snowden, much less Clint.

Why?
You would probably have better job satisfaction dressing up in drag and "crashing" your way through the gate to get interviewed by the NSA than working for West Virginal Media Holdings..... :twisted:

:roll: Too Soon?????

Then I won't mention how the media mess up that the gate crashers used an "Escape" to get a one way ticket to jail and the great beyond. [/rimshot] 8)
The first step in a successful revolution is to defeat all competing revolutionaries.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Probably thought that the same doofus group that protects the White House, is
protecting the NSA. Maybe shoulda checked.
cgarison

Post by cgarison »

I spent enough time around Ft. Dix a few years back to know the US Army does not mess around with "security theater" like the TSA at our airports. I would think that Ft. Meade would be like 2005 Fort Dix security, only just 1000 times more intense.