WVBA AWARDS!

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

I used to think the same thing, honestly, until Cameron and I both won last year...Kindred/ISP and Bristol Broadcasting. Not tooting a horn or anything, I just think it's simply from apathy from other companies. The old 'Well, WVRadio is going to win everything again, no need to enter' mentality. I'll say this, again, no ego, but my confidence was boosted, and I was offered my current job as a result of the press gained from winning last year's Lacy Neff award.

You gotta do what you gotta do to make it...can't blame anyone but yourself.

It's a lot like being at WMUL and winning gobs of awards, simply because every other university knows they're not going to win agains MU...winning by default.

Let's all get back in focus, talk about Ralston's assetts, and make some good radio, eh?
engineer

Post by engineer »

Dave Harman wrote:
Cameron wrote:[Your AM stays on high-power during WVU games?
That's what I got from all of this.
Oh, and beer is good.
Beer is good. Especially when someone else pays.

BTW, Engineer was the one that said the AM stays on high power. He's lied in every post in this thread so far, so I guess it's up to you whether to believe him.
I knew it would take someone like Dave Harman to expose me for what I really am; a fake. Maybe I will just go back over to the technical section where I belong. I wouldn't be over here anyway, but it’s been so quiet in the technical forum for a long time. You know what they say, "the engineer is always the odd-ball in any conversation."
engineer

Post by engineer »

Big Dawg wrote:Yes, automating the power change would be a good idea.
But, Engineer, I told you this before, but I'll repeat it: The very few times I've failed to lower power at the correct time in 20 years is an error of ommission, not commission. We have an alarm that goes off in the transmitter remote control studio to remind us to raise or lower power. There have been times, when running MSN in another studio, that I haven't heard the alarm and also forgot to lower power. Let it rest or just go tattle to the FCC or something.
Here's how our awards submission process works: The WVBA reminds all members to submit their entries by a certain date. In my case, I WANT to enter my station for News/Talk Station of the Year and Best Talk Show, Large Market. I encourage my news guy to enter Best Newscast and Spot News,(He didn't want to enter this year because it's always just us vs. WCHS he said) and I encourage the sports guy to enter. For me, it's a pain, because I have to pour over saved audio for the past year to come up with 3-minutes of good stuff to submit. I'm very biased, but I don't think anyone can judge how good the station is by listening to 3 minutes of clips. So, I put together my 3-minute entries, put each on a CD, and give them to Heidi who makes the CD labels. The CD's that our stations produce go to one guy, Jon, who mass mails all CD's, entry forms and money to Michelle Crist at the WVBA. I'm not sure what the process is here, but I guess she has made an agreement with broadcasters out-of-state to listen to the CD's submitted for each category and choose the best for each market, large or small. Once the winners are selected, then (I'm guessing here) Michelle will inform Dale of the winners prior to the banquet and Dale will then put together the production for the banquet. My competition every year is WCHS-AM because, again, I guess they're the only other large market AM that submits in my category. I want to beat them badly every year even though they're in the same company. I would love to win in my categories over 5, or 10 additional station's entries than just competing with WCHS. WAJR won Station Of The Year in 2007, but WCHS won it this year which makes me think my 3 minute CD wasn't as good as theirs this year. On the other hand, 58 Live won Best Talk Show last year and Morgantown AM won it this year. I just think my 3 minute CD was better in the judges ears this year. So, if you think that the winners are manipulated because Dale produces the awards banquet, that's an insult to the talent that has submitted their entries. Eagle 107 in Wheeling wins just about every year and they're Clear Channel, right?
WVRC has enough pride in it's employees and talent to pay for it's entries. Perhaps, your management doesn't see to that. I would be reluctant to pay for my own entries. Engineer, you may say "why enter? It's a WVRC thing", but I would guess that your management doesn't encourage it's talent to enter, doesn't offer to pay for entries on behalf of it's talent, or, just isn't a WVBA member. BTW, I hope GB is doing well. I have alot of respect for him.
GB is doing well. He really is a pioneer, or old-school for the younger folk. This all started because I poked fun at the "big boys." I'm going back over to the technical forum where I belong. :(
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote: The very few times I've failed to lower power at the correct time in 20 years is an error of ommission, not commission. We have an alarm that goes off in the transmitter remote control studio to remind us to raise or lower power. There have been times, when running MSN in another studio, that I haven't heard the alarm and also forgot to lower power.
Your adjacent-channel interference to that country station in Toronto is really cutting-into my ability to listen to their nightly "Hank Snow Tribute Hour".

LOWER POWER!

(And play more Buzztime).
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Cameron wrote:
Uh oh...how do you know about my Buzztime play?
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
kaos

Post by kaos »

Long live satellite!!! Sirius rocks! Too bad local radio has not caught on to that. I never thought I would make the change but it is WELL worth it based on the choices we have here!!!
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Well, good for you!

Nice discovery.

Now just go to the satellitte radio message board and post your profound messages.
Dr Fever

Post by Dr Fever »

engineer wrote: If I would have taken the job in 1996, the first thing I would have done is automate the power schedule of your AM transmitter. Most stations did that fifteen or twenty years ago. You see, I know just how busy you are when those WVU football and basketball games are on. It's very easy to forget and leave the station at high-power. Shucks, you are still forgetting to do that twelve years later.
I must say...there's some flat out lying going on here.
"Children are like TV sets. When they start acting weird, whack them across the head with a big rubber basketball shoe."
-Hunter S. Thompson
engineer

Post by engineer »

Dr Fever wrote:
engineer wrote: If I would have taken the job in 1996, the first thing I would have done is automate the power schedule of your AM transmitter. Most stations did that fifteen or twenty years ago. You see, I know just how busy you are when those WVU football and basketball games are on. It's very easy to forget and leave the station at high-power. Shucks, you are still forgetting to do that twelve years later.
I must say...there's some flat out lying going on here.
What do you think I'm lying about?
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote:
Cameron wrote:
Uh oh...how do you know about my Buzztime play?
"play"? 367,600?

<-- Shutting his festering gob
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
RadioKnowwhere

The Battle Vs The War

Post by RadioKnowwhere »

My, but this has certainly turned into quite the festival of ideas.

Dave Harman, I respect you a great deal, worked with you in fact.

I would, however, respectfully submit that no company is perfect, nor without fault, blemish or error, and therefore, not above honest feelings being vented in the negative against it.

It's not, either, whether you win, lose or simply tie. It's how you play the radio daddy-o, and whether you are willing to let the company run you or you run with the company. Having the most awards, accolades, categories or eloquent come-backs on this board isn't all either. What happened to service to the community and really giving a crap about having to improvise, care and learn?

Gee, I thought this board would be a place to share the craft of radio.....

Take these comments and thoughts as you wish, submitted with no malice or "alleged jealousy", for after all, I better than MOST know what went on in the employ of West Virginia Radio, in so far as what exactly happened in 1996......for I was THERE...

Love is good when the books are....

Heritage, my ass.
Dave Harman

Re: The Battle Vs The War

Post by Dave Harman »

RadioKnowwhere wrote:My, but this has certainly turned into quite the festival of ideas.

Dave Harman, I respect you a great deal, worked with you in fact.

I would, however, respectfully submit that no company is perfect, nor without fault, blemish or error, and therefore, not above honest feelings being vented in the negative against it.

(edit)

Gee, I thought this board would be a place to share the craft of radio.....

Take these comments and thoughts as you wish, submitted with no malice or "alleged jealousy", for after all, I better than MOST know what went on in the employ of West Virginia Radio, in so far as what exactly happened in 1996......for I was THERE...

Yes, no one's perfect. Mistakes happen, and power doesn't get changed on time 100-percent of the time, even with automation.

Thanks for making that point. This board is a forum for the exchange of free ideas and share the craft of radio, but I don't see how being jealous of another company because their owner is wealthy has anything to do with the craft of radio. Getting back to the original point, which has gotten lost here - either enter the awards or don't, but it's not necessary to whine about it when you don't enter, and therefore, don't win.
Scott Reppert

Re: The Battle Vs The War

Post by Scott Reppert »

RadioKnowwhere wrote:What happened to service to the community and really giving a crap about having to improvise, care and learn?
Absolutely right!
Preach it! Shake that bush again! Bring it rare!
I raise a toast of strawberry Yoo-Hoo to you!
RadioKnowwhere wrote:Gee, I thought this board would be a place to share the craft of radio.....
Absolutely wrong...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

The owner being rich isn't all of the complaint, Dave. It is the beyond ridiculous amount of wins that go down every year at the award ceremony.

It's the president landing a hall of fame position its first year of inception.

It's the purchasing and disbanding of competition within some markets, and the illegal monopoly in others. (FCC shell game not withstanding... we KNOW who owns it.)

So there are several issues at play here. And most of them contribute to those wins.

(Waiting to be told I never worked there in 3... 2... )
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Lester wrote:The owner being rich isn't all of the complaint, Dave. It is the beyond ridiculous amount of wins that go down every year at the award ceremony.

It's the purchasing and disbanding of competition within some markets, and the illegal monopoly in others. (FCC shell game not withstanding... we KNOW who owns it.)

So there are several issues at play here. And most of them contribute to those wins.

BITCH-slap!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote:The owner being rich isn't all of the complaint, Dave. It is the beyond ridiculous amount of wins that go down every year at the award ceremony.

It's all about that to you, I guess. But you're kinda in the disgruntled ex-employee department, too.

Thanks for chipping in with another troll.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

I really have a hard-time understanding how ANY of this has anything to do with this thread.

We were discussing winners of the annual WVBA Awards. This board is about radio in WV, and every year there is a ceremony to award those in their categories that are judged by outside broadcasting associations.
The way it looks to ME is that WV Radio has done it right.....make sure that all stations are members, and encourage and PAY for each category within these stations to enter the competition.

If WV Radio owns 20 stations within that process, that certainly doesn't mean that each and every one win all the time.
Besides that, why WOULDN'T WV Radio encourage entries? BUT-----more than that---- why would competing stations within some of the markets DECLINE to enter?
It amounts to: "Well, two of the stations in our market are WV Radio, and we're not going to enter because they'll win anyway."

Instead of: "Two of the stations in our market are WV Radio and we're going to guarantee them a win because we're not going to enter."

So......why is that? Seriously? You can't win if you don't enter. It's not the employee's fault that they win an award simply because there was no competition.
Lot's of you seem to take great delight in using the annual "Awards" as a WV Radio production, therefore excusing yourselves of taking part, then spend 3 weeks blasting the very people who were successful.

Do you guys believe that all the folks that work for WV Radio are evil and nothing more than drum-bangers for Raese? As we have seen from Big Dawg, it's up to the individual to prepare their entry, and to demean it by claiming favoritism, is a slap in the face to those who actually achieved an award.
As far as I can see, there are LOT'S of people competing in this against other colleagues within their own company!

I've watched this thread and frankly it's not a whole lot different than being in the 8th grade bitching about how some 'bigger-school' always wins the tournament, knowing all the while that YOUR school never took part in the tournament anyway.

In other words, shut the hell up. It's definitely sour-grapes and pathetic.
Unfortunately, those who won in their category are not----EVER---congratulated IF they're a WV Radio employee. They're dismissed on this forum.
Those who work for the rare OTHER company that take part who win, are given MULTIPLE KUDOS! However, if they ever leave, go to work for WV Radio, and win an award under their umbrella-----it's met with cynicism, and disgust.

This makes absolutely NO sense.
The individual effort to put these entries together------knowning they're going to be judged by radio-pros from another state----spend a LOT of time trying to make it stick.
From what I understand from above posts----all that Dale Miller does is pay the entry fees. The audio is up to each individual. HOW---HOW is that some kind of 'unfair' advantage? I don't see it.
But this board goes through this every single year.

I mean hell--------this "Annual WVBA Awards" thread very quickly drifted off into some ridiculous story about how a guy was interviewed to work for WV Radio one time, but he says they told him what organizations he could support in his free time. And how often Big Dawg forgot to change power.
What the fuck does this have to do with the annual awards? Is this to further villify WV Radio to make ANY award won by ANY of them----a "NON-AWARD!"???

WHAT???????????

PLEASE TELL ME!!! None of this makes any sense.

Enter to win.
DO NOT enter---and lose.

Pretty simple.
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Thank you. That was very well written.
Mr. Smith

Post by Mr. Smith »

Television Awards:

Station of the Year: WVVA TV

Best Community Involvement: WVVA TV Toys for Tots

Best Public Affairs Program: WCHS TV Fugitive Files

Best Sportscast:WCHS TV Mark Martin

Best Locally Produced TV Show: WDTV Miss West Virginia 2007

Best Hard News Story:WCHS TV WCHS Staff

Best General Assignment Reporter:WSAZ TV Jessica Ralston

Best Coverage of Spot News:WCHS TV Truck in River, Patrick McMurtry

Best Newscast: AM: WCHS TV Elisabeth Lilly Producer

Best Newscast: PM My Z Ten O'clock News Jessica Ralston

Best Anchor:WSAZ TV Jessica Ralston

Best Weathercast:WOWK TV Stormtracker 13

Best Photojournalist:WCHS TV Brad Rice
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Lester wrote:
Yes, you worked at WVAQ. As a night jock and music director, WVAQ "achieved" it's lowest ratings in station history. That's a fact. You wanted to resign as music director but only your complete resignation was accepted. That's a fact. But, it's a volatile business. Everyone has had their bad stops along the way in this business. You just didn't fit right there. But, I respect you as a person for your service to our country and only wish you all the success in the world.