WVBA AWARDS!

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Well HELL!

Of course WCHS won a bunch of awards!

That's because Dale Miller watches WCHS all of the time, and I'm told went as far as even placing a brochure at 1111 Virginia Street ordering all employees to watch WCHS also.
The brochure says that any employee of WV Radio could be terminated IMMEDIATELY if an officer of the company ever 'comes by' for a visit and sees you're NOT watching WCHS.

I haven't seen this brochure but I've heard about it. I heard that one time Dale Miller took an axe to Billy Shahan's TV when he came by one night and found him watching WOWK.

So you see kids, the above premise isn't really that damned far off from what you continually claim from the radio side of things.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Big Dawg wrote:Yes, you worked at WVAQ. As a night jock and music director, WVAQ "achieved" it's lowest ratings in station history. That's a fact.
It is? I wasn't aware there was a book during my brief tenure as "music director". The rest of the time I was on nights, and nights alone. Feel free to dig up the books though. I'd like to see these facts, first I've heard of them, backed up.

Big Dawg wrote:You wanted to resign as music director but only your complete resignation was accepted.
I was fired. Still got the paperwork to back it up... and that IS a fact.

Dave: Looking at my original post... and except for the last line, NONE of it is about "me". It's about the beast that ate WV. Don't be too sad though, most people hate the NY Yankees for the same reason.

That said, I was really hoping you guys would secure the Huntington market. I'm sorry that you didn't. Working a market you can't bulldog would have made for some entertaining radio... if you succeeded or not.
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Did Jessica Ralston win stuff?

That's all that matters.

By the way, she loves me.

I'm not even sure if my stick is a member of WVBA. I guess next time there is a dinner in Charleston I will have to crash the party.

I do have one question. If WV Radio "owns" the WVBA awards why would they even allow other companies to enter? I don't get it. Next week, when I do a poll of people who call WKLC to find out what rock station they like best (so I can do one of those Voted Best Rock Station Of The Century liners) I won't be allowing other companies in on the poll. That would be stupid.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Kitesgot wrote:I heard that one time Dale Miller took an axe to Billy Shahan's TV when he came by one night and found him watching WOWK.

Axe, hell. He drove his Escalade right through the side of the building and crushed it.

We needed a window there anyway. And what's another 100-k when you're rolling in the dough?
Big Media

Post by Big Media »

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Big Media wrote:Image
Naw ... it's just getting good!

:wink: 8) :lol:
Translators are a Pox on the FM radio dial.
Bob Campbell

Post by Bob Campbell »

Hey, a thread about the WVBA awards! Did anybody we know win anything?

btw, Shahan took the pieces of the tv and smoked 'em.
Brian G.

Post by Brian G. »

WVBA.com has posted all winners:

http://www.wvba.com/content/view/79/109/

Correct me if I'm wrong...but aren't there more stations in the state that aren't WVRC properties than are? Aren't the WVRC stations just in Morgantown and Charleston? So, only stations in Morgantown , Charleston, and Huntington would have to compete with them. I know that we take great pride in every award we win in the Medium market category against Wheeling, Elkins, Beckley, and Bluefield.

I am in agreement with the idea that if you don't want to enter...that's fine. But don't feel the need to pee in the punchbowl for those of us who do.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I know this awards stuff is important and all... but did anyone see where Clear Channel cancelled their Saturday remotes due to snow?

It was in the paper.

I mean c'mon, people, can't you smell the big stories when you have the chance?

Geez. Awards.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Point of contention: WVRC owns Elkins radio... all of it.

But your point is a valid one. I'm not really trying to pee in anyone's punch bowl. I just saw someone getting jumped by the 800 pound gorilla for daring to point out that, for some reason, WVRC wins the lions share of the categories they enter.

And it happens enough that I'm pretty sure that's why no one originally cared to post the results on here.

Based on the attacks from them, (a couple even have a few LIES), I'd say they're so used to getting their asses smooched, they don't like it so much when someone doesn't roll over and give immediate heed.

Just an observation though.

That said, Raese has deep pockets... just like Steinbrener. He hires good talent, provides top notch equipment, and pays pretty descent given what the rest of the state can afford to pay. So it does stand to reason they're going to win... a LOT. But how does someone (from back before Elkins was a monopoly) like Dick McGraw come up with that kind of cash, and that kind of draw to compete against them?

Discuss.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote: Based on the attacks from them, (a couple even have a few LIES), I'd say they're so used to getting their asses smooched, they don't like it so much when someone doesn't roll over and give immediate heed.

Just an observation though.
That's total crap, Lester. Everytime someone from WVRC tries to post something on here or DEFEND ourselves, you bring out your stale vendetta over getting fired. It's really getting old. Why don't you just give it a rest, unless you have a new point to make?

Now, to borrow a Lesterism, here comes the self rightous retort in three, two, one.....
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Lester wrote: But how does someone (from back before Elkins was a monopoly) like Dick McGraw come up with that kind of cash, and that kind of draw to compete against them?

Discuss.
Are you asking how Dick would have the cash to compete for awards? The only cash that's needed is for each entry submitted. There are many talented people in West Virginia markets that work at stations that don't bring in the revenue WVRC stations do. These awards are for recognizing great efforts in radio broadcasting. I'd like to think I could submit an award-winning entry no matter who employs me. And yes, I'm pissed at WCHS-AM for winning the award I really wanted...News/Talk Station Of The Year. I don't even know if WRVC enters from Huntington for large market, but I wish they would.
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote: I don't even know if WRVC enters from Huntington for large market, but I wish they would.
You mean "WVRC". That's what the plaque said last year.

:wink:
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Cameron wrote:
Big Dawg wrote: I don't even know if WRVC enters from Huntington for large market, but I wish they would.
You mean "WVRC". That's what the plaque said last year.

:wink:
Freudian slip.

:lol:
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Dave Harman wrote:Now, to borrow a Lesterism, here comes the self rightous retort in three, two, one.....
Contrary to my snarky response earlier, I was a supporter, on here, of your (WVRC) acquiring CC's stations within the state. I even assisted, at the request of your president, in helping eliminate the F.U.D. that was being generated by the initial thread. Does that sound like "Vendetta" to you?

As to my involvement in the fight, if you could respond with something other than the "Nu-uh, you're a big dummy" defense, I'm pretty sure I'd stay out of it.

I also think WVAQ has a shit-hot morning host... and Eric's pretty good as well. :D

As to Dawg's comments... I have to disagree. Great talent doesn't stay small market very long. Because WVRC can pay what they do, they keep talent longer, and are actually capable of luring talent in that wouldn't have otherwise given WV (any of it) so much as a passing glance.

And your mobile music show (if memory serves) had better equipment that most small market production studios.

How does "Joe A.M." compete with that? Face it, the cards are heavily stacked in your favor.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Lester wrote:[As to my involvement in the fight, if you could respond with something other than the "Nu-uh, you're a big dummy" defense, I'm pretty sure I'd stay out of it.

Some of your facts are correct, but many of your conclusions are wrong. I'm not going to nitpick each assertion - but since you continue to troll for an argument against WVRC every chance you get, I have to assume you have a chip on your shoulder.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I'm happy for the stations that won, and for all the hard work done throughout the year to obtain and maintain a top-notch sound. I'd like to see many more entries in every category next year and beyond, giving the judges some hair splitting decisions to make. Should WV Radio Corporation clean house under those conditions, I think the awards received would be that much more meaningful.

But the onus is NOT on WV Radio Corporation. WV Radio has done their part: The company has some great air talent and some great sounding stations, they put together a number of entries each year and submit them, then they are judged in every category against other entries -- if other entries were submitted. The other players in West Virginia radio; Clear Channel, Kindred, LM, Bristol, Southern, all the small AM-FM combo operators, et. al. need to get on the stick and put together a CD of their best and brightest. Then send it in. If nothing else, building a station composite can be a great learning experience and could also be used in sales presentations with clients. Its just like the lottery: You'll never win if you never play!

8)
Arp2

Post by Arp2 »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:It's just like the lottery: You'll never win if you never play!

8)
Are you sure that's what you want to say?

Aren't the odds of winning the lottery something like the odds of getting hit by lightning three times in your lifetime? :P
"I don't know the same things you don't know."

"Yes, you do; you just won't admit it!"

"Yeeee...it looks like a 'Belt Buckle & Ball Cap' convention in here......"
genlock

Post by genlock »

Is this a Wheeling thread?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

Arp2 wrote:Aren't the odds of winning the lottery something like the odds of getting hit by lightning three times in your lifetime? :P
I would question the validity of that formula. Maybe on an individual level... but more people win the lottery (numbers, not scratch off) than are actually hit by lightning.

Dave: I'm sorry you feel that way. I would argue that YOU are trolling, based on your initial response to this thread. Chip? Possibly. Getting fired on Thanksgiving can do that to a guy. Still? Probably not. Someone says something negative about "the company", and you're up in arms immediately. Did you deserve your awards? Mostly likely. You have the best folks and the best equipment money can buy. Congrats on getting your money's worth. Don't expect everyone to pat you on the back further for it. Sorry, that's just how it is.