WVBA AWARDS!

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

Oh heck, Media, that's nothing we've been together for 13 years, married for 8, working together for 7. Trust me, we've said ALOT worse to each other!!
"The whole thing was just a nightmare," Rodriguez said.

LOL!!
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

engineer wrote:
Dave Harman wrote:
engineer wrote:WVRCBA= West Virginia Radio Corp. Broadcasting Awards.........................
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

We were betting 5-bucks on who the first jealous competitor whose station wasn't good enough to win anything would whine first. I bet on you, and I thank you for today's lunch.
Shucks Dave,

I was hoping you would send that five bucks to support "Big Daddy Byrd."
I'm not jealous. In fact, I turned down a very good job with your empire in 1996. I really didn't like the motto of company, god, and then family. Even better, they actually told me which organizations I could volunteer with outside of work. So take your pretty WVBA trophies and go back to the death star.
We have the transcript of your 1996 interview laminated and Gorilla Glued on the bathroom stall door on our "Hilarious Interviews With Deathstar" I never get tired of reading the part of your interview that you're referring to:
Interviewer: "Do you have a family?"
Engineer: "Yes, I do. I love them very much".
Interviewer: "Great. We will provide you with extra cots at the transmitter."
Engineer: "My life partner and kids have to sleep at your transmitter?"
Interviewer: "They don't have to. We can just provide the one cot for you and then you can ask to visit them occasionally, but never on Sundays."
Engineer: "No Sundays? But we go to church every Sunday together!"
Interviewer: "We are providing you with an AM radio at the transmitter. There are several church programs we air every Sunday morning. You may tune to one of those, or simply monitor the STL."
Engineer: "May I continue my volunteer work with Hospice?"
Interviewer: "No. That's a waste of time on dying people. And no helping sick kids either. We'll just deduct some of your pay "voluntarily" and donate it to the RNC for you."
Engineer: "That doesn't sound fair! "
Interviewer: "We feel that God and family only gets in the way of eight-level vestigial sideband modulation, and 'volunteering' is just another word for 'time away from my cot at the transmitter'. Uh...you're leaving? WAIT! First, drink this and look directly into the light and repeat after me 'I give my soul...'
Engineer: You are evil! I hope you NEVER win any awards!
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote:
engineer wrote:
Dave Harman wrote: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

We were betting 5-bucks on who the first jealous competitor whose station wasn't good enough to win anything would whine first. I bet on you, and I thank you for today's lunch.
Shucks Dave,

I'm not jealous. In fact, I turned down a very good job with your empire in 1996. I really didn't like the motto of company, god, and then family. Even better, they actually told me which organizations I could volunteer with outside of work. So take your pretty WVBA trophies and go back to the death star.
We have the transcript of your 1996 interview laminated and Gorilla Glued on the bathroom stall door on our "Hilarious Interviews With Deathstar" I never get tired of reading the part of your interview that you're referring to:
Interviewer: "They don't have to. We can just provide the one cot for you and then you can ask to visit them occasionally, but never on Sundays."
Interviewer: "We are providing you with an AM radio at the transmitter. There are several church programs we air every Sunday morning. You may tune to one of those, or simply monitor the STL."
Interviewer: "No. That's a waste of time on dying people. And no helping sick kids either. We'll just deduct some of your pay "voluntarily" and donate it to the RNC for you."
Interviewer: "We feel that God and family only gets in the way of eight-level vestigial sideband modulation, and 'volunteering' is just another word for 'time away from my cot at the transmitter'. Uh...you're leaving? WAIT! First, drink this and look directly into the light and repeat after me 'I give my soul...'
Hunter S. Thompson, ladies and gentlemen.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Big Dawg wrote:God and family only gets in the way of eight-level vestigial sideband modulation
Doesn't everything? :lol:
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Scott Reppert

Post by Scott Reppert »

SPIKE! I can still see the ring in the avatar!!!!!!

<---Given that, I revert to a previous shot...
Scott Reppert
Music Director/Program Director/On-Air Personality
WTCS/WFGM/WMQC/WAIJ/WLIC/WRIJ/WKJL/WRWJ/WPCL/WWPN
Operations Manager: Hope Radio, T8WH, Palau
Production/Editor: "Believe Right" and "MFC WorldWide"
"For mine eyes have seen Thy salvation"--Luke 2:30
Clay JD Walker

Post by Clay JD Walker »

HEY! I'm not married, thankfully...so here's my response...

<-----------------
engineer

Post by engineer »

Big Dawg wrote:
engineer wrote:
Dave Harman wrote: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Shucks Dave,

You can think whatever you want. You run a good company, but it's not for everyone. I was poking fun at the WVBA awards. Every year you win just about every category. The voice overs on the award intros are even produced by your company. If your company started as a poor mom and pop trying to keep their head above water then you should be very proud. Instead, the owners of your company have always been multi-millionaire’s. Give anyone on this board that kind of backing and they would prevail as well. The Greer's and Raese's didn't make their money from radio or newspapers.

If I would have taken the job in 1996, the first thing I would have done is automate the power schedule of your AM transmitter. Most stations did that fifteen or twenty years ago. You see, I know just how busy you are when those WVU football and basketball games are on. It's very easy to forget and leave the station at high-power. Shucks, you are still forgetting to do that twelve years later. De-regulation hurt radio. I must go now. There are black helicopters flying above my house. I'm certain they are destined to land at the Greer building. Seriously Jim, I do congratulate your air talent on the NAB's and Marconi's. The WVBA awards seem comical to me. Not many people want to participate because the whole gala is basically run by WV radio corp.
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Well, this has certainly has taken an ugly turn.
Titties and beer...thank God almighty for titties and beer!
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

engineer wrote:Not many people want to participate because the whole gala is basically run by WV radio corp.
Which is why, I suspect, no one was quick to post an article on this years "winners".
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I drank a lot of their beer.
genlock

Post by genlock »

daveinthemorning wrote:I drank a lot of their beer.
Free beer?
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

Well, between 6:00 and 7:00 its open bar. They don't know Erin and I very well, I guess. You would have thought they would have learned from last year. We may be the only reasons why they DON'T offer free alcohol next year.
genlock

Post by genlock »

To hell with them, then.
"Everyone Should be aware that you're just a screen grab away from infamy."
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I'm very proud of my boy, Big John, and his crew for getting "Station of the Year" on the country side, though.
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

engineer wrote: Instead, the owners of your company have always been multi-millionaire’s. Give anyone on this board that kind of backing and they would prevail as well.
Wow, you really think it's that simple? It's not. It constantly amazes me when people like you think that throwing money at a problem is the best solution. No one opens their wallet to me unless I show how spending the money leads to a profit.

Competition makes everyone stronger. If you don't want to compete or participate, that's fine. It's not compulsory. At least this way you have some excuses for not winning.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Dave Harman wrote:
engineer wrote: Instead, the owners of your company have always been multi-millionaire’s. Give anyone on this board that kind of backing and they would prevail as well.
Wow, you really think it's that simple? It's not. It constantly amazes me when people like you think that throwing money at a problem is the best solution. No one opens their wallet to me unless I show how spending the money leads to a profit.

Competition makes everyone stronger. If you don't want to compete or participate, that's fine. It's not compulsory. At least this way you have some excuses for not winning.
Your AM stays on high-power during WVU games?
That's what I got from all of this.
Oh, and beer is good.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Cameron wrote:[Your AM stays on high-power during WVU games?
That's what I got from all of this.
Oh, and beer is good.
Beer is good. Especially when someone else pays.

BTW, Engineer was the one that said the AM stays on high power. He's lied in every post in this thread so far, so I guess it's up to you whether to believe him.
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Doesn't take a lot of thought to recognize 'sour-grapes' whether you're involved in this or not.
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Yes, automating the power change would be a good idea.
But, Engineer, I told you this before, but I'll repeat it: The very few times I've failed to lower power at the correct time in 20 years is an error of ommission, not commission. We have an alarm that goes off in the transmitter remote control studio to remind us to raise or lower power. There have been times, when running MSN in another studio, that I haven't heard the alarm and also forgot to lower power. Let it rest or just go tattle to the FCC or something.
Here's how our awards submission process works: The WVBA reminds all members to submit their entries by a certain date. In my case, I WANT to enter my station for News/Talk Station of the Year and Best Talk Show, Large Market. I encourage my news guy to enter Best Newscast and Spot News,(He didn't want to enter this year because it's always just us vs. WCHS he said) and I encourage the sports guy to enter. For me, it's a pain, because I have to pour over saved audio for the past year to come up with 3-minutes of good stuff to submit. I'm very biased, but I don't think anyone can judge how good the station is by listening to 3 minutes of clips. So, I put together my 3-minute entries, put each on a CD, and give them to Heidi who makes the CD labels. The CD's that our stations produce go to one guy, Jon, who mass mails all CD's, entry forms and money to Michelle Crist at the WVBA. I'm not sure what the process is here, but I guess she has made an agreement with broadcasters out-of-state to listen to the CD's submitted for each category and choose the best for each market, large or small. Once the winners are selected, then (I'm guessing here) Michelle will inform Dale of the winners prior to the banquet and Dale will then put together the production for the banquet. My competition every year is WCHS-AM because, again, I guess they're the only other large market AM that submits in my category. I want to beat them badly every year even though they're in the same company. I would love to win in my categories over 5, or 10 additional station's entries than just competing with WCHS. WAJR won Station Of The Year in 2007, but WCHS won it this year which makes me think my 3 minute CD wasn't as good as theirs this year. On the other hand, 58 Live won Best Talk Show last year and Morgantown AM won it this year. I just think my 3 minute CD was better in the judges ears this year. So, if you think that the winners are manipulated because Dale produces the awards banquet, that's an insult to the talent that has submitted their entries. Eagle 107 in Wheeling wins just about every year and they're Clear Channel, right?
WVRC has enough pride in it's employees and talent to pay for it's entries. Perhaps, your management doesn't see to that. I would be reluctant to pay for my own entries. Engineer, you may say "why enter? It's a WVRC thing", but I would guess that your management doesn't encourage it's talent to enter, doesn't offer to pay for entries on behalf of it's talent, or, just isn't a WVBA member. BTW, I hope GB is doing well. I have alot of respect for him.
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
Kitesgot

Post by Kitesgot »

Tell it all brotha, tell it all!!!!