NAB Crystal Award Finalists

If it's about broadcasting, radio, TV, satellite, cable, this is where to talk about it.

Moderators: Hoosier Daddy, The People's DJ, Arp2

PassiveObserver

Post by PassiveObserver »

Man, let's lobby our legislature. Try driving to Wheeling on Rt. 2 It's pure hell.
"Being a bastard works." - Spider Jerusalem
engineer

Post by engineer »

Big Dawg wrote:Okay...let me spice this up a bit, since it obviously bores you to death. I'm sure there are many stations throughout the state that do great things for their community. Are you getting any recognition for what you do? Any newspaper or TV coverage? Are you being LOCAL? Did you enter ANYTHING for the WVBA Excellence in Broadcasting Awards? Are you all a bunch of apathetic broadcasters? What the hell are you doing? I, for one, am not doing enough for my station. I have decided that since WCHS-AM was successful with it's radiothon for St. Judes, that we're going to get onboard with the Children's Miracle Network Telethon with WVAQ this year. I'm just saying, it bothers me that to get any response around here, I gotta come on talking about how great WKKX is.
By the way, I was in Wheeling for two days this weekend...downtown. IT IS DEAD. You want to see a once historic downtown in the last stages of life? See Wheeling. But don't stop at the Cabella's exit or go onto St. Clairsville. I feel bad for that grand architecture discolored and crumbly.
Anyway, are you promoting the good things that you do?
I think you guys won just about every category at the WVBA a few years ago. I know you guys are the best of the best, but do your own employees nominate themselves?
fearpeddler

Post by fearpeddler »

they do where i work at..
Doesn't MSNBC stand for the Media that Spins the News for Barrack's Cabinet?

Political Correctness is always having to say you're sorry. - Me
Jay Nunley
Swearmaster General
Swearmaster General

Post by Jay Nunley »

Arp2 wrote:
And Ohio can't take Wheeling....Ohio doesn't cross the river.
Yeah, one time guys from Ohio were throwing sticks of dynamite across the river at us. So, we picked them up, lit the fuses, and threw them back.

[/Old anti-Ohio jokes from my Grandfather]
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

engineer wrote:
I think you guys won just about every category at the WVBA a few years ago. I know you guys are the best of the best, but do your own employees nominate themselves?
We enter ourselves. :lol: "Man! If I could do that. I'd never leave the house!"
"Shut your festering gob"-J. Stallings
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote: Did you enter ANYTHING for the WVBA Excellence in Broadcasting Awards? Are you all a bunch of apathetic broadcasters?
Alright everybody. You need to enter Best Network Newscast, Best Network Long-Form News Program, Best Network Special Series, Best Network Talk Show, or the Best Network Festival Entry.

Lotta' competition in those categories?
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Senior Member - SBE 68 Birmingham
Senior Digital Product Manager - Hibbett Sports|City Gear
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Cameron wrote:
Big Dawg wrote: Did you enter ANYTHING for the WVBA Excellence in Broadcasting Awards? Are you all a bunch of apathetic broadcasters?
Alright everybody. You need to enter Best Network Newscast, Best Network Long-Form News Program, Best Network Special Series, Best Network Talk Show, or the Best Network Festival Entry.

Jeez you're a bitter bastard.
I'm talking about entering---IN YOUR MARKET SIZE--Personality Of The Year, Morning Show, Best newscast, best sportscast, best play-by-play, best CHR, best whatever format you have. You must remember bitter Cameron, WVRC is much more than the state network. There are specific station categories based in Large, Medium and small market categories. So, Kyle Wiggs, for example, can win "Best Play-By-Play" for the Mohawk Bowl in the large category while the PxP guy at WEPM in Martinsburg can win the same category, medium market. And bitter Cameron, why can't Marshall's ISP Sports Network enter anything to comptete against MSN? Why not?
Cameron, I don't know what your job is, but is there no category you can enter? Have you ever gone to the WVBA website to see what's there?
Bob Loblaw
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Bob Loblaw »

Isn't there a "per entry" fee (or "donation") that the company must pay?

I seem to recall that.

(That's how it worked with AIR awards...which is part of what killed them...Companies weren't willing to pay those fees anymore)
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

engineer wrote:
Maybe you guys don't understand how it works. YOU enter the competition by submitting YOUR entry.

I hope you aren't expecting to win the Powerball jackpot as a result of someone else buying you a ticket.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

Bob Loblaw wrote:Isn't there a "per entry" fee (or "donation") that the company must pay?

I seem to recall that.

(That's how it worked with AIR awards...which is part of what killed them...Companies weren't willing to pay those fees anymore)
I think it's $80 per entry, but I may be wrong. I seem to remember that figure floating around 2 years or so back, when I wasn't invited to the ceremony...

/still bitter
Last edited by SPIKE NESMITH! on Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Lester
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Lester »

In other words... they don't enjoy winning unless there are other WV stations they can beat.
SPIKE NESMITH!

Post by SPIKE NESMITH! »

double post - ignore this, please!
So sayeth His Royal Highness King Spike; greatest broadcasting talent of his generation.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Big Dawg wrote:
Cameron wrote:

Jeez you're a bitter bastard.
I'm talking about entering---IN YOUR MARKET SIZE--Personality Of The Year, Morning Show, Best newscast, best sportscast, best play-by-play, best CHR, best whatever format you have. You must remember bitter Cameron, WVRC is much more than the state network. There are specific station categories based in Large, Medium and small market categories. So, Kyle Wiggs, for example, can win "Best Play-By-Play" for the Mohawk Bowl in the large category while the PxP guy at WEPM in Martinsburg can win the same category, medium market. And bitter Cameron, why can't Marshall's ISP Sports Network enter anything to comptete against MSN? Why not?
Cameron, I don't know what your job is, but is there no category you can enter? Have you ever gone to the WVBA website to see what's there?
Oh...wait we entered some of those...see you there.

You enter about 2-3 on the first go-around in a competition to see what the "lean" looks like. I think ISP wanted to wait until this year to enter ANYTHING so a former uplink provider wouldn't claim some involvement in an award. I just hope the network category rules don't change too much if one goes to ISP. (I think one was entered).

Marshall/ISP won National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association state’s (WV) top sportscaster. Winning two of the two awards submitted this year would be nice.

You really should introduce yourself at WVBA. You may screw-up and like me.
Otherwise, I'm glad you're around and know so much about what I do to keep me straight.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I was in the middle of my WVBA alternate inspection. (I found that on the WVBA website circa 2001). Jack Layton says, "hi". The irony of what I was doing all day, coupled with your post gave me quite a laugh. Thanks.

Much Love,

Bitter Bastard
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
herdgirl72

Post by herdgirl72 »

You're right Big Dawg...he is a bitter bastard!!

Hey, btw bastard...don't forget to stop at the store and
get me some Diet Coke before you come home!!

Thanks, jackass...
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

herdgirl72 wrote:You're right Big Dawg...he is a bitter bastard!!

Hey, btw bastard...don't forget to stop at the store and
get me some Diet Coke before you come home!!

Thanks, jackass...
Don't you know that bitter bastards stay in the office, responding to message-board posts?
Last edited by Cameron on Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Big Dawg

Post by Big Dawg »

Lester wrote:In other words... they don't enjoy winning unless there are other WV stations they can beat.
Who are "they" Lester? I'm speaking for myself. I think good competition makes you better. I would rather compete against several news/talk stations than just WCHS. Good for them if they win. It's the same company. But I want to win the awards for the entries I submit. To hell with them (good luck CHS!). I would rather the judges choose my entry the best out of 5 they listen to rather than 2. Nonetheless, winning is enjoyed, Lester, but it's sweeter when it's harder to win. So, let me rephrase what you wrote so that it's more accurate; "They (??) enjoy winning, like we all do, but, they(??) enjoy it more if they beat 10 stations instead of 2".
Dave Harman

Post by Dave Harman »

Cameron wrote:You enter about 2-3 on the first go-around in a competition to see what the "lean" looks like. I think ISP wanted to wait until this year to enter ANYTHING so a former uplink provider wouldn't claim some involvement in an award. I just hope the network category rules don't change too much if one goes to ISP. (I think one was entered).

Much Love,

Bitter Bastard
Wow. It's incredible that you thing we have so much influence with the Ohio, Virginia, and other judges as to rig the judging. Good luck with the ISP entry - let the best network entry win. I think we've got you covered, but that's just my opinion, based on hearing both networks on any given Saturday.

I hope you spent enough time with Jack Leyton to understand that we don't just grease palms to pass inspection OR win awards.

Look me up at the WVBA awards too. You'll probably hate me, but I'm used to it LOL.
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Dave Harman wrote:I hope you spent enough time with Jack Leyton to understand that we don't just grease palms to pass inspection OR win awards.
When did that stop? The first place I ever saw the certificates posted was at 1111 Virginia Street.

Your engineers have too much to do to be bogged-down by the FCC for 8 hours.

10 stations in WV got inspected this week. I was just 1,2,3, and 4.

I've only been through 4 FCC inspections. Other than being time-consuming, believe me, they covered much less than what Jack does. But you know that. All you needed to do was throw a jab. I think it's great you have such love for your stations. Just don't line up the morning prayer rugs to their transmitter sites.

It's just sad that sarcasm or facial-expressions translate to message-boards. There's about 22 people that work in radio. It just so happens that it's the same 22 at about 9000 stations.

'cept F-n Nunley thank God he's only at 1.
Last edited by Cameron on Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------
Cameron Smith - CSRE®
Brian G.

Post by Brian G. »

The entry fees vary on what size market you are in. We (Parkersburg) are in the Medium range so it's $20 per entry. I encouraged everyone at our stations to pust something in. 4 or 5 of us entered in Personality of the year. I believe it was $25 per for large and $15 per for small. TV was one rate...I think they are all competing against each other this year.
genlock

Post by genlock »

Engineers should enter for best Non-personality of the year.